2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be picking up an 11'6" fiberglass surf blank. I know fiberglass is outdated but I've really been intrested in building a retro rod for my first attempt. Since I have a vintage Jigmaster and another old Squidder on the way, I figure it would be a neat project. Any suggestions on what kind of hardware I should consider for such a rod? I want to keep it fairly simple and not go too overboard costwise. I would really appreciate some input. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I was at Cut Rate in Houston the other day and they have some fiberglass blanks that might be just right for a retro rod. They are made in China and the price was like $35 for a 10 ft blank. If you are in the Houston area, they are worth checking into further.
I was in a hurry and didn't look that close.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks GD but I'm stuck in the armpit of Texas area(Rio Grande Valley). If I want anything decent I have to order it. If I had waited I could have sniped that Lamiglass blank for 35 buck. Does Cute Rate do any business off of the internet?
Anyway Mudhole has some decent blanks,maybe I'll go graphite or composite with a retro look. **** tough trying to figure out how I want to make my first rod.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very true, Big Lou and his buddies hit SPI almost every year around Setember/October and Yakmon and Deaver hit the Mansfield jetties from time to time. But on the north side guess a short yak trip across the channel to pick anything up. Rod building will be a winter project anyway since I don't have a lease this year, got plenty of time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
that is the only thing that is bad about ordering your blanks even two piece blanks are expensive to ship. if you really want a retro look you could go with the harrington blank that you can get at roys in corpus or you could go with a purglass blank that is white that would look sweet with a blk and gold aluminum reel seat and some nice guides. then use some blk hypalon or eva for your grips. pick some wild colors so that it really stands out on that white blank. oh yeah that would be sweet. sorry got carried away lol

Ramon

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've thought about the Purglass blanks but for another project I have in mind. I've tried casting in the low mount position and I'm surprised how much power you can get into a cast. I can see why tournament casters use it. Researching how other surfcasters fish for sharks in South Africa. Low mounted reels like Diawa 450Hs with 13 ft Purglass rods are used to haul some monsters onto the beach dwn there.
I'm currently reworking a few old rods I have lying around the place. I have a Master 12 fter that I've stripped the seat and handle off of and am thinking about cork tapeing and placing a Fuji adjustable seat or Breakaway coasters on. The rod itself is built on a fair blank that has better action than my Ugly Stik Heavy surf rod it just has crappy hardware on it. It would make an excellent guiniea pig for now.
Keep any ideas and/or suggestions flowing guys. The more I can learn from ya'll the less likely I am to make mistakes. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts