2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every weekend has shown us something different. Saturday we had mostly Gadwall, and the rest spoonies. Saw almost no Teal or Widgeon. Was expecting to see some Pintails but didn't. The Gadwalls would circle and circle, but rarely committed. Lots of them locked up and looked committed, only to flare at about 40 yards. Changed the decoys three times and it never made any difference. I don't think we had any new birds, and/or these were decoy shy already. We finally started taking a bit longer shots than we like, and got our birds by 8:45. No cripples (Love that Hevi-Shot). My son got his dark geese also. We did obviously, get a lot of new specks in the area and I saw snows in good numbers for the first time. So far full straps on every hunt but it may be time to use fewer decoys and start moving ??

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Three things come to mind

Wind? If the decoys weren't moving, as in a calm, that'll do it.

Consistently flaring at 40 yds = they're seeing you, or the scarecrow blind. Or lifeless decoys (see above).

Maybe they've been there since opening day and you've pounded that hole a little too much? Gray ducks seem to be either dumb or **** near unhuntable spooky, not a lot of in between. Good job on the Hevi.

Probably just need some new ducks.

This is the time of year I begin putting more white in the spread. Too early to start downsizing, IMO. I usually do that after Xmas.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Old indian trick. Put your nearest decoys 45 yards from the nearest cover, put the wind in your face and shoot'em in the butt on the swing. Doesn't always work, but sometimes does. They get to where they won't fly near anything that could hide anyone.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Its been the strangest season for me so far - We have had everything looking perfect all year - were close to the Anahuac refuge and our hunting has been terrible. Not bad, but terrible.

Everyone reports great hunts and I get squat. This weekend that all changed...most people are reporting bad hunts, and I almost ran out of ammo. I had more birds across me than I have had all year.

We had spoonies, green wings, blue wings, wigeon, gadwall, mottles, mexican whistlers, scaup, and red heads this weekend. Not only did we have ducks, but we had literally thousands of Specks flying low all morning long....We hunted a small pond, and put 12 snow decoys on our road with 2 dozen ducks in the pond, and we drew ducks and geese until the clouds broke, and the rain stopped. Once the sun showed its ugly face it was all over...but for 45 straight minutes it was all I could do to keep ammo in the gun.

First good shoot all season for us...My only guess is that the front brought new birds, and the bull tide, pushed up my way. I was not complaining.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Every weekend has shown us something different. Saturday we had mostly Gadwall, and the rest spoonies. Saw almost no Teal or Widgeon. Was expecting to see some Pintails but didn't. The Gadwalls would circle and circle, but rarely committed. Lots of them locked up and looked committed, only to flare at about 40 yards. Changed the decoys three times and it never made any difference. I don't think we had any new birds, and/or these were decoy shy already. We finally started taking a bit longer shots than we like, and got our birds by 8:45. No cripples (Love that Hevi-Shot). My son got his dark geese also. We did obviously, get a lot of new specks in the area and I saw snows in good numbers for the first time. So far full straps on every hunt but it may be time to use fewer decoys and start moving ??
What area is your lease located ET?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think the birds are seeing you, the migration is in full swing, so having "old birds" around is doubtful in my opinion. I definitely pull my mojos 10 min after the sun comes up, and that seems to help alot. A jerk line on some decoys is a good idea if the winds is calm. Ducks that won't finish this time of year is usually attributed to too much calling right at the end, or thy're seeing something that doesn't look right. Good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the birds are seeing you, the migration is in full swing, so having "old birds" around is doubtful in my opinion. I definitely pull my mojos 10 min after the sun comes up, and that seems to help alot. A jerk line on some decoys is a good idea if the winds is calm. Ducks that won't finish this time of year is usually attributed to too much calling right at the end, or thy're seeing something that doesn't look right. Good luck
ditto on the mojo's. If you are in a small pond the birds will shy off of them. They great to draw birds to you on big water.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No Mojo's, not opposed to them, just haven't needed them. Did add a jerk line two weeks ago and it's clearly working on a few of them. We are not set up any different than any day this season. If they are seeing something, it's something they have been seeing all along. That's why I think they are blind shy already. I like layout hunting, and we tend to do that later in the year. Had my daughter in law with us last time so we used a blind.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The duck hunting has been really good so far this season except for the past Sunday when we had our first slow hunt. I have hunted around Garwood,Nada, and South of El Campo. The greenwing teal and spoonies thinned way out after opening weekend but the gadwall and widgeon have more than made up for that. The birds are getting very wary but the hunting pressure has been up with the combo of pretty weather on the weekends and heavy rains during the week keeping folks from goose hunting much. We added 2 dozen over sized coots to the spread and seems to have helped us out a bunch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts