2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Old aircraft wreckage in Shoalwater Lake

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Capt. Lowtide 
#1 ·
Does anybody know the true history of the airplane wreckage in Shoalwater Lake out of Seadrift? I've fished near it many times and always wondered the real story and what type of aircraft it was. It's located on the west end of the lake a mile or so east of Steamboat Pass.

#3 ·
According to local information, it was an Army trainer aircraft from the old Matagorda Island Airbase that went down in the late 1950's. The pilot ejected and survived, the plane was not so lucky. Nobody can explain of why the wreckage was left in the bay. Local legend also suggests there is another in about 7-8 feet of water near Hasselman's on the south end of First Chain.

You really need to put the Shoalwater Bay plane wreck on your GPS if you navigate the area frequently. On low tides it is quite visible but there are plenty days when the wreckage is barely covered. Many of us have come real close a time or two, I know one guy who has hit it twice!

EJ

#5 · (Edited)
It's about 3/4 of the way down shoalwater "if your headed towards san antonio bay" and 1/3 of the way between the bay front and the inter-coastal. It's right around where the arc in shoal waters bay front shore line begins

I think it's around where the smaller circle is but it may be one of the black dots below it. It's been a little while since I've been there.

Attachments

#6 ·
Wreck Location

Spots and Dots said:
If you pull out of Fulghums, which side of Shoalwater is the wreck? Do you head towards POC or Seadrift? I've run pretty far towards POC in the lake, but never noticed any wreckage. Maybe I didn't go far enough.

Just curious.
Go towards Seadrift (turn right into shoalwater before heading into Esprito Santos Bay) The wreck is on the left before the lake opens into S.A. bay. There is a single wood post about 50 yards or so in front of wreck. A lot of times there will be some pelicans sitting on the wreckage that is out of the water when the tide is low.

#9 ·
Spots and Dots said:
Are there anyfish there right now????????

I think my scooter can find that spot......
reds can be in that whole area year round, depending on the situation. I haven't had super luck there, but have lost a few on top water lures right at the wreck. If I remember right, it's pretty dang skinny in that area of Shoalwater.

#10 ·
I fish the wreck year 'round with fair luck, but most of the fish are caught off of the wreck. The water is real skinny there, and on a low tide the reds seem to favor the drop off west of there about 150 yards. I use the wooden marker to set my drift, normally I shut down about 100 yards to the SW of the marker and let the SE wind blow the boat toward the wreck and into the 8" drop off I mentioned. Good luck fishing the area, if you have'nt been in Shoalwater before, it would be wise to get someone with local knowledge to show you around...I've towed a couple of people out of there before.

#16 ·
That is a good choice to go around the flat, but on most tides that S-10 should scoot across. I fished that area when I had my S-10, those boats will run so shallow it will make you nervous. By the way, always wear your kill switch if you don't already...that boat is a accident waiting to happen.

Once you get into Shoalwater it would be wise to stay out of the East side or you might ding your prop on some oysters. Another good thing about the boat is that you can fish behind Catman on a low tide when nobody else can! Good luck this weekend, let us know how you do.

#18 ·
Catman is an island on the southern west side of Shoalwater, you'll notice it by the large wooden pilings out front. At one time there was a channel running into the west end from the intracoastal, it silted in back in the early 90's. Once you find Catman, run around the back side (if nobody is anchored there) toward the pilings and hang a left into the skinny flats there. Try to run your boat as slow as possible to keep it on plane while familiarizing yourself with the locale...try not to run over any schools of redfish, when you see fish make a mental note where they are. If you don't run directly through the school they will reorganize and remain in the general vicinity. Give the fish about thiry minutes and drift back through the areas that showed fish and catch 'em. In the back flats (that is what I call 'em) the mud can be bottomless and the stingrays thick, so it is best to stay in the boat. I like to stand on top or the front of the console for a better view to sightcast.
If you get into an area too skinny to get up, you might try riding on the console backwards to take weight off the stern. I've got myself into areas before that would barely float the boat, about 3-inches, and could not get back up. There was usually an abandoned crab trap within poling distance, so I would get to it and pull the trap out of the mud to get to a couple of more inches of water. This would give me a true "hole shot" for the prop. Don't forget always wear your kill switch.

I sold my S-10 about a year ago and have missed it more than any of the boats I've ever owned. Getting boat sick now, gotta get another one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.