2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being out of school all week, I took my 7 year old son on his first real wade (waste deep, chunking tails) Friday morning down to O'lake/West Matty. After catching a few dinks early, we found a consisitent bite bay side and he strung 3 solid trout! I couldn't have been more proud - the storm surge down there made the point impassable - we a long walk in. I'll try to post some pics - my first time to attempt this...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
NICE!

Awesome pics! Storm surges are amazing; it could've been much worse. The intracoastal probably did a great job damping most of the wave energy. Did you get sight of the spoil banks?

Sure is a good lookin' feller! Hard to believe he's your son....jk.

·
Has been known to backlash toilet paper.
1,650 Posts
Good lookin' young man, great catch, beautiful water! That looks like a dream to me. My son is 21 and I regret not doing the same with him. We are making up for lost time now I hope. We have a couple of bows, kinda outdated by todays high dollar standards but we should be able to hunt a time or two this October. He has a passion for the surf right now and I am very proud and happy! Keep your son close.

I am in West Columbia. How fer is that place?
May God Bless.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dfisherman said:
Awesome pics! Storm surges are amazing; it could've been much worse. The intracoastal probably did a great job damping most of the wave energy. Did you get sight of the spoil banks?

Sure is a good lookin' feller! Hard to believe he's your son....jk.
No I could not see the spoils (hopefully they are still high enough to stop a yak...lol). Yeah, he had a blast, and wants to go again this Friday - but says he needs a wading belt, shirt, boga, etc...:)

Ant, from you it's about an hour away...take your son up on surf fishing - it can be a blast!! Good luck with the October deer...

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's nice to see those kinds of pictures. My dad started me wading some time around that age, and we eventually found Oyster Lake to be a nice drive-up wading place. As I grew older, I took friends there and we've caught many fish on the point, especially at night. Great job!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I fish there once in a while. What did the shoreline look like on the right before you cross the bridge? Did it look like the dirt road off to your right that goes down to the shoreline survive or is it covered with silt?

We wadefish there along the old fenceline and generally have decent luck with the right wind and tides.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
huntr52 said:
What did the shoreline look like on the right before you cross the bridge? Did it look like the dirt road off to your right that goes down to the shoreline survive or is it covered with silt?
There looked to be a soft spot about 15 yards down, then the rest of the road looked to be okay - I would definitely get out and walk it before getting stuck (been there - no fun).

That shoreline looked the same - I enjoy fishing it in the fall as well. With no boat, and shopping for a kayak, that's a good place to go!

·
Has been known to backlash toilet paper.
1,650 Posts
Fisher of Men said:
No I could not see the spoils (hopefully they are still high enough to stop a yak...lol). Yeah, he had a blast, and wants to go again this Friday - but says he needs a wading belt, shirt, boga, etc...:)

Ant, from you it's about an hour away...take your son up on surf fishing - it can be a blast!! Good luck with the October deer...
How's this? We have been some. He is coming in this weekend. Maybe we can head to Matty. How hard is it to get to East Bay south shore after crossing the swing bridge at Sargent? Would I need a spetchel truk? Some day we will have yaks.

Attachments

·
Tell yo momma and them how she durren...
922 Posts
TheAnt said:
How's this? We have been some. He is coming in this weekend. Maybe we can head to Matty. How hard is it to get to East Bay south shore after crossing the swing bridge at Sargent? Would I need a spetchel truk? Some day we will have yaks.
Pretty tough. "spetchel truk"..........I dont know what that is, but I think you need one...LOL.

You have to get across Mitchell's Cut the be able find the south shoreline.

·
"(DON'T FEAR) THE REAPER"
286 Posts
You can't see any spoil banks from the point of Oyster Lake... Even if ya' had binoculars. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts