2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with the Okuma reels? I am considering trying one out and they look pretty good with 9 bearings etc... but would like to hear some feedback of anyone who has tried them. i have Shimano curado's already and love them just curious about what else is out there.

Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Here fishy, fishy.......
170 Posts
I have a VS200. It is a nice reel, but the side knob has to be adjusted about every cast. I love the reel it casts really nice, but after using a Citica, it has been designated as the back-up reel. Okuma does provide the closed spool with it, so making it a bit more salt friendly. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
103 Posts
dont

they are terrible in my opinion...i bought two of them about a year ago and had nothing but prolems..they were back at the store in abot two weeks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just bought one to day. It really looks good and has the feel of a quality reel. They are very popular in California. I bought the Convector CV30L. I hope it holds up.

·
Looking for Fish
665 Posts
I've been using the Okuma Fina FI40's, spinning reels, for about 2-3 years, bought 6 of them off of ebay for somewhere around $30.00 dollars a piece. They've held up OK, but I don't fish nearly as often as I used to plus I may go over board on reel maintainance. After each trip I wash them with fresh water and spray them down with CorrosionX. About every other trip I crack the body and spray it also with CorrosionX. Can't say that's good for it but they are still smooth and work fine. Note that I've used Shimano's, Dawia's, Penn's and a few others over the years and if you don't keep them clean and maintained none of them perform well IMO.

·
JB Guide Service
205 Posts
There spinning reels are good but there bait cast reels don't hold up in salt water to good there bearings rust to easy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okuma reels

I live and die with Shimano, I do however, have a Okuma in my arsenal. So far I haven't had any problems with it. The price was nice but it is just not a Shimano.--Norface

·
GOD BLESS AMERICA
1,441 Posts
Stick with your shimanos , if your looking for a new reel get the Citica , you CANNOT beat it for the price , I bought an Okuma reel for offshore a couple years ago , spend the little xtra , thats all i'm going to say about that reel . If you really want to try another brand pick up a Abu REVO sx , its about 150 bucks and worth it , the stx model is 200 bucks but if you take care of the sx it will last forever ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts