2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked before, but, I need a little input on buying a kayak. Think I 'll have my boat sold soon, but hate to be tied to the bank.

I like the idea of a sit in ,keeping my butt and center of gravity a little lower, but what if something goes bad and we turn over, will it fill with water and sink?

It looks like that couldnt happen to the molded sit on models.

What I plan doing is trying the surf fishing I have been checking out here.

Thanks.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,387 Posts
Welcome,

Sit in are not for surf, Sit on top work good. many yaks to pick from. I like the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT. I weight over 200# so I need a yak that is wide. I give up some speed , but do not have to worry about dumping in 3-4'.
Each person has different choices for a yak. How you will fish with it the most is the most important question. Also try many before you buy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my thought on sit ins. I just liked the idea of being lower. I weigh a shade over 250 so I'm sure I'll give up a bunch of speed.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Big Lou and Mont both use OK Drifters I think. Lou and Mont are both big men, 6' 7" or so. Mont has lost some weight, so I don't know how big he is now, but Lou is well over 300#.
IMHO, a sit inside yak can be a death trap in the surf. If you get dumped, you can become disoriented by the waves tumbling you around and drown before you can get out of it. A sit on top yak just dumps you off and you got to go catch it. Sit inside yaks are more stable, but not enough more that you won't get dumped.
Remember the most important thing to have after you get the yak is a good life jacket. I think its even more important than a paddle.

BTW: The Drifter is a very fast yak. Weight is not so much what determines yak speed, length is more important. The longer the faster.

·
Team Ocean Kayak
81 Posts
I get tired of everyone saying that your too big for this kayak. The Wilderness Systems Ride and Tarpon 140 are great boats. I am 5'9 and at one point weighed 255 lbs. the 140 did fine with me. and I even use it to stand up and sight cast to Redfish. The 140 is a great boat. My next boat will likely be a RIDE, but not for the Surf. It will be for poling the flats. For the surf, only. I would recommend the Frenzy or the Tarpon 100. Short and nimble. The longer the boat the fast you are, but it is also harder to turn. If you get the 140, get the rudder up front. that will save you a lot of trouble.

Come see us at www.texaskayakfisherman.com for a lot of great information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
choices

It depends on what you want it for. The Tarpon wouldn't be the best choice for paddling out a bait into a strong surf, but it is a great kayak for fishing. It is hard to go wrong with the Scrambler XT by Ocean Kayaks. Its a good dual purpose yak, stable in the surf and long enough to track well when cruising. It doesn't have the turning abilities of a shorter kayak though. The bottom contour of the Yak makes a big difference in even a marginal surf. Adios

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
When I'm deploying baits, turning has never been the issue. Getting up enough speed to make it over the bars and out through the breakers HAS been the issue several times. Bait deploying is basically a straight out and back ride. If you are going to be trying to cut in and out surfing waves, then short and nimble would be become important. But for deploying baits IMHO, stability is the most important factor, with speed being a very close second. Other people like short nimble boats, but I get my bait out better with my longer & faster boat.

Now here is the best advice you'll get on this:
Try out several different yaks and see which one YOU like best, before you plunk down several hundred $$$ to buy something you may not like. Some places will rent you a yak and apply the rent to the purchase if you decide to buy. Some time they will also let you try several different models to decide which one you like best. Before you decide on a yak, try it in rough conditions. If it works well for you in rough conditions, smooth conditions will be a piece of cake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts