2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've got a nubbing buck at my feeder every evening with no mom.(not by my hands) and he's just fine, except for the other does that have fauns trying to kick his but.

Hard not to shoot a doe without fawns, and this late in the season if they can't function without mom then they'll never make it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It all depends on the age of the fawn. Fawns must remain with does for 75 days to live. If not, they will starve, be killed by coyotes, etc. Some does fawn late (I have seen several that just dropped fawns in August!), so it all depends on the age of the fawn. A good rule of thumb is if the fawn is half grown (compared to the doe), it will make it on its own. All fawns should be past weening age by mid November or so, but waiting to take does until Dec. will ensure your fawns will make it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If still has spots, no. Proven fact otherwise that it is ok. Research has shown that bucks who are seperated from their mother after the spots have disapeared have actually faired better than ones who stay with mom. The bucks will usually run them off anyways when the rut starts.

As towards shooting fawns, that is up to each individual. Perfectly legal to do. When it comes to population reduction, why not. Most of the time, it becomes a numbers game, and shooting fawns reduces the numbers. If it were me though, I would try not to shoot nubbin bucks, seeing most population reduction programs is doing so to reduce the number of does and get the buck to doe ratios in better porportions.

·
Registered user of Live bait
177 Posts
Our club is on level 3 and we are required to shoot certain amount of does every year and sometimes it comes down to shooting fawns just to get the numbers just gotta be careful not to get the nubbins

·
Highball !!!!
2,616 Posts
If it comes down to shooting fawns to get the numbers you must have one heck of a buck/doe ratio......I know its unpopular but shooting the does first will help the other deer by leaving more forage for the remaining herd later on in the winter(Jan/Mar)JMHO....rio

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
I have no problem with either from mid Nov on as long as its a doe fawn, as a matter of fact I kinda like m with milk still on their mouth. Here in Hardin Co the deer have been off their mom about a month and its not unusuall to see them alone as I have seen 2 nubbins the last 2 hunts from one of my stands, opening morn she was with them but has been a no show since, I do know when they show up alone during the rut > moms busy. I have also heard that if you remove the mom of a nubbin he will stay in the area for life but who knows. I always look at it as if you remove a grown healthy doe your actually taking 3, whereas with a fawn you get just 1. BTW if you take a buck fawn, your rushing things by not looking better at ALL angles, most of our buck fawns have horns now about 1 - 2" long and will be a legal buck (by law)before season ends...WW

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Some big ranches make the hunters shoot doe before any bucks are shot. Thats the first thing shot therefore you are not killing two maybe three animals with one shot. (not pregnant). I like that idea because there is nothing worse (to me) than cleaning a doe and finding two moving babies inside.

Charlie

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
If it comes down to shooting fawns to get the numbers you must have one heck of a buck/doe ratio......I know its unpopular but shooting the does first will help the other deer by leaving more forage for the remaining herd later on in the winter(Jan/Mar)JMHO....rio
I'm sure TPW would much rather you take m early to get them OFF the range....WW

·
Headhunter...Fishhunter.. .Deerhunter...
1,586 Posts
I sell cans of spot remover so you wont get laughed at too hard at the deer camp.. 9.95

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Some big ranches make the hunters shoot doe before any bucks are shot. Thats the first thing shot therefore you are not killing two maybe three animals with one shot. (not pregnant). I like that idea because there is nothing worse (to me) than cleaning a doe and finding two moving babies inside.

Charlie
Charlie, here where I hunt, MOST all are bred by the first week of Nov. so like it or not your taking a preg doe, in my yrs of processing I have seen hunters take issues with a doe with 4-6" fetuses but when its not as noticable its OK. I dought very many hunters would even recognize a doe that has been bred be it a week or a cpl of months, if you don't gut you have no clue....WW

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.