2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which state was the first state to secede from the Union before the Civil War?

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bubba Did It Again!

(See what Drumbo and I are talking about?)

Sorry JettyJumper (by the way, you're one of my favorite posters!)

Vir=gin-eeeaaah, by God! was #8

South Carolina was #1

CONFEDERATE STATES IN ORDER OF SECESSION

State Seceded from Union Readmitted to Union
1. South Carolina 12/20/1860 July 9, 1868

AN ORDINANCE to dissolve the union between the State of South Carolina and other States united with her under the compact entitled "The Constitution of the United States of America."

We, the people of the State of South Carolina, in convention assembled, do declare and ordain, and it is hereby declared and ordained, That the ordinance adopted by us in convention on the twenty-third day of May, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty-eight, whereby the Constitution of the United States of America was ratified, and also all acts and parts of acts of the General Assembly of this State ratifying amendments of the said Constitution, are hereby repealed; and that the union now subsisting between South Carolina and other States, under the name of the "United States of America," is hereby dissolved.

Done at Charleston the twentieth day of December, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty.

I'll post Virginia's Secession Statement next.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Virginia seceded after Texas ...

State Seceded from Union Readmitted to Union
8. Virginia April 17, 1861 Jan. 26, 1870

AN ORDINANCE to repeal the ratification of the Constitution of the United State of America by the State of Virginia, and to resume all the rights and powers granted under said Constitution.

The people of Virginia in their ratification of the Constitution of the United States of America, adopted by them in convention on the twenty-fifth day of June, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty-eight, having declared that the powers granted under said Constitution were derived from the people of the United States and might be resumed whensoever the same should be perverted to their injury and oppression, and the Federal Government having perverted said powers not only to the injury of the people of Virginia, but to the oppression of the Southern slave-holding States:

Now, therefore, we, the people of Virginia, do declare and ordain, That the ordinance adopted by the people of this State in convention on the twenty-fifth day of June, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty-eight, whereby the Constitution of the United States of America was ratified, and all acts of the General Assembly of this State ratifying and adopting amendments to said Constitution, are hereby repealed and abrogated; that the union between the State of Virginia and the other States under the Constitution aforesaid is hereby dissolved, and that the State of Virginia is in the full possession and exercise of all the rights of sovereignty which belong and appertain to a free and independent State.

And they do further declare, That said Constitution of the United States of America is no longer binding on any of the citizens of this State.

This ordinance shall take effect and be an act of this day, when ratified by a majority of the voter of the people of this State cast at a poll to be taken thereon on the fourth Thursday in May next, in pursuance of a schedule hereafter to be enacted.

Adopted by the convention of Virginia April 17,1861

[ratified by a vote of 132,201 to 37,451 on 23 May 1861]

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
godness I'm gettin all mixed up!!! LMAO hey don't be hatin. Virginia and SC are almost next door nieghbors. "I'm all confused" LMAO

Budda, your smart man

·
Registered
678 Posts
JettyJumper said:
godness I'm gettin all mixed up!!! LMAO hey don't be hatin. Virginia and SC are almost next door nieghbors. "I'm all confused" LMAO

Budda, your smart man
Thats gotta be one whale of a jetty between West, ByGod Virginny and South Carolina. Did You loose Virginia and North Carolina??

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Drumbo said:
Thats gotta be one whale of a jetty between West, ByGod Virginny and South Carolina. Did You loose Virginia and North Carolina??
oh yea. thast right. north carolina is above south carolina. dang!!! I must be backards or sumthin. LOL

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steady Jetty!

We'll stay with you through this!

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
well I tell you what. I think I need to look at a map before I flap my jaws. LMAO answer me this, do you know these answers by heart or by the book? LOL

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you asking ME J.J.?

If so, would you mind saying it one more time?

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
No, not you specificly. I just meant it as a Q for everyone.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ohhhhh!

Guess I got a little carried away.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
aunty.............

so can you answer form your heart or do you have to look it up?

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's such a long story Jetty Jumper!

I'll make it as brief as possible.

My father, born in 1888, grew up in the midwest around many adults who had been on the Confederate side of the Civil War. I know that some of these friends sat him down to listen to war stories. So, when we would go on long car trips Dad often took us to the Gettysburg battlefield. Back in the thirties there was a lone young man, dressed as a Confederate Soldier, got into our car sitting next to Dad who was driving. On the road that snaked through the battlefield our guide had us stop many times. When we stopped he would tell us which battle took place. How many Confederate and Union soldiers were killed there and the names of the officers who died at that spot.

Now that's the background. I had forgotten most of this until Bubba brought it back to life the many times he mentioned the "Confederates" lovingly and I could tell there was much more to the story of the Civil War than had been taught to us as students or we had gleaned from popular historical information.

Then, this year I watched "Gods and Generals" with Robert Duval as General Lee, Steve Lang as General Thomas Jonathan (Stonewall) Jackson of the Confederate Army and Jeff Daniels as a Professor Joshua Chamberlain, called to service by the Union Army and serving as a General.

Once seeing this movie and relating it to many of Bubbas comments I started on my Civil War research adventure.

Over a short period of time I ordered and watched, (some several times), movies on DVD in this order:

1. Gods and Generals
2. Gettysburg
3. The Last Days of the Civil War by the History Channel-Biography
(the History Channel 2 DVD pack did not hold my attention as it should have)
4. The Birth of a Nation
5. Gone with the Wind
6. Civil War Minutes - Confederate (not a movie but outstanding with historical facts!)
7. Amistad
8. Glory

While I was watching these movies I'd take notes and then research the actual history using Google. Although romantized these movies seem to stay right with historical facts.

The more I watched and the more I researched and got deeper and deeper into the Civil War I discovered, what I've said here several times, the Civil War was NOT about slavery. It was about States Rights. (That particular bone of contention comes up very often here in Florida)

Jetty Jumper I had not intended for this to become such a long post. But I don't know how to answer your question except this way. I had NO interest in the Civil War until Bubba, the things he said in posts and the movie Gods and Generals.

I found it quite interesting that the movie Gettysburg, made before Gods and Generals, had many of the same actors in the leading roles. Robt. Duval was not Lee nor in the movie. Steve Lang was General Picket and the cast included Jeff Daniels, Tom Berenger and Martin Sheen was General Lee.

I am attaching a favorite photo from Gods and Generals. This is shortly after General Jackson receives his orders from Lee. He and his wife always prayed together when he was home.

Hope this answers your question about where it comes from with me Jetty Jumper.

Please try to see these movies if you have a chance!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ps Jetty Jumper

This week I have been researching the Lincoln Douglas debates. There are quite a few of them and I'm taking them one by one.

These debates took place before the Civil War. But do include quite a bit that had to do with the war to come.

Yesterday I downloaded and printed out the first round of debates that took place at Ottawa. It's in three parts. Lincoln's part of the debate continued on for quite a long time. But from what I see there was a moderator who timed the gentlemen and told them when they must stop.

I hope to start reading them this afternoon.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I've seen Gone With The wind and Glory. Interesting story there. I'm ready for the next quiz...

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK Jetty Jumper ...

I'll start a new thread. This one is really stringing out.

And, I still haven't answered all of Bubba's questions yet.

Like Arnold says ........"I'll be baaack!"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts