2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I thought Texas raped you on taxes...I just went and registered our vehicles in Colorado and it cost me $1200 ($800 for mine, $400 for hers)!! And get this...that's a yearly registration fee!! The lady told me it should go down $30 or so a year as the vehicles get older.

Also, Denver requires emissions tests, much like Houston, but they have to be done every two years for gas motors ($30) and every year for diesels ($60)...another $90 I spent today to get our vehicles registered, in addition to the amount above and $10 more per vehicle for a state mandated VIN search. Diesels run much cleaner than gas motors, so why do diesels have to be tested yearly? Houston doesn't even require emissions testing on diesels, and Colorado cracks down on them for some reason!

I don't know what the numbers mean, but my diesel scored a .01 at 50mph, and my wife's Trailblazer scored a .06 at 50mph. So, I have one-sixth of the emissions she has, but I have to have mine checked yearly and hers is every two years! There are some bass-ackwards lawmakers up here, that's for sure!!

Anyway, just wanted to vent that I spent over $1300 today to get our vehicles registered, and can look forward to the same amount every year to come! :(

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Kansas does the same thing except knot quite that much. Grandpa used a Texas address for years on his vehicles to beat the tax. Left them registered in Texas. Wasn't no emmisions check back then though. If you did it that way Shaddy you'd have a good reason to come to Texas once a year!! To get your anual emissions check.LOL

Bigwater

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had I not already gotten my CO driver's license when she told me what the fee was, I would've left them registered in TX! Having a CO DL, though, tells the cop that you're a CO resident, and comes with a $1200 fine for not registering your vehicle in CO! Ouch! :(

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it all evens out in the long run, though. I just found out that my sales tax here is <4%. They have a 5% state income tax here, but the property taxes are less than 1% (3%+ in Houston). Of course, housing here is about $200k more expensive than Houston! Cheap houses in Denver start in the mid to upper $200s (similar to a $100k house in Houston). A decent house in a decent area here will run you in the upper $300s (similar to a $175k in Houston).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I feel your pain.

Back in Missouri they charged annual property tax on all your vehicles. It was crazy. The state charged you, the county charged you and God forbid you lived in the city limits - then they charged you too!! Texas is the best at vehicles because the charge you one time at purchase. When I came to Nevada they wanted almost $1,000 to register my truck based on the value they determined. They lady told me my 1999 F250 gas truck was worth over $15,000!!!!!!!! I promptly replied "That's great, I have a deal for you. You can have it for $14,000 right now!" She did not see the humor, the NADA is around $8,500 on a good day.

Man I miss TEXAS!
Andy

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
wow....

all those taxes, and no salt water to fish?!? Tell me again, why you moved?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
good point

Bert........................................later,Dave

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
State income tax is 5%, but sales tax is under 4%. Not pretty! I'm sure it all balances out, but I'll let y'all know at the next gathering I get back for! ;)

G

·
Oh, didn't you hear...................

They don't think much of Texan's in Colorado.

You're probably getting that special "Texan Tax Rate" up there.

I've caught bigger 'bows, there are better places to Elk hunt and I don't ski snow. I'll keep my money out of Colorado, thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
welcome to colorado

Why would a texan living on the coast moved to high country colorado, lots of money i hope. and no ocean to fish in plus it is 1250 mile from my doorstep to the 6 turnin on spi, thats where we spend our fall months sept- nov.
ok on your registration look for the license fee and that is what it will cost you each year.I doubt that it will be as much as you paid this time. if you are in the denver area shot me an e-mail address and i send you my telephone number.you can tell me all the fishing lies you have gathered up over the years MikeB

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Mike! The ownership tax totals about $900 for our two cars. Sound about right?

BTW, I'm in Greenwood Village, near S. Quebec and Orchard. My email is shadman at 2coolfishing dot com, or you can click on my name and select Send Email. What part of town are you in?

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
And now you know why you got that awesome raise!

Here's a tune for ya! LOL!

"Hey Ramblin' boy why don't you (A) settle down.

(D) Denver ain't your (A) kind of town.

(D) There ain't no gold and there ain't nobody like (G) me.

Come on home, bro! !!!

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Very cool, mi amigo! The whole thing you set up is awesome! Thanks for taking the time.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
Speaking of taxes... (at least read the bottom part)

TAXES

Accounts Receivable Tax

Building Permit Tax

Capital Gains Tax

CDL license Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Court Fines
(indirect taxes)

Dog License Tax

Federal Income Tax

Federal Unemployment Tax
(FUTA)

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Fuel permit tax

Gasoline Tax
(42 cents per gallon)

Hunting License Tax

Inheritance Tax Interest expense
(tax on the money)

Inventory tax IRS Interest Charges
(tax on top of tax)

IRS Penalties
(tax on top of tax)

Liquor Tax

Local Income Tax

Luxury Taxes

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Property Tax

Real Estate Tax

Septic Permit Tax

Service Charge Taxes

Social Security Tax

Road Usage Taxes
(Truckers)

Sales Taxes

Recreational Vehicle Tax

Road Toll Booth Taxes

School Tax

State Income Tax

State Unemployment Tax
(SUTA)

Telephone federal excise tax

Telephone federal universal service fee tax

Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes

Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax

Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax

Telephone state and local tax

Telephone usage charge tax

Toll Bridge Taxes

Toll Tunnel Taxes

Traffic Fines

(indirect taxation)

Trailer registration tax

Utility Taxes

Vehicle License Registration Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Watercraft registration Tax

Well Permit Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago. Our nation was the most prosperous in the world, had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class
in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts