1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bay conditions OK, but anglers stay home

By Joe Kent
Correspondent

Published July 13, 2006

On Wednesday, conditions were close to ideal on the bay. The floods of last week had little impact on the area. But there were not as many fishermen on the water as I would have expected and, not surprisingly, not many call-in reports.

On the bay scene, part of the group from Wednesday's report, Doug Sefcik, Don Brice and Charlie Everett, pulled up to Capt. Jerome Kunz's shrimp boat around 8 a.m. and purchased a quantity of fresh live shrimp. They sped away toward some honey hole down the Galveston Channel toward Pelican Island, too far for binoculars.

Travis Tucker (Tucker's Bait on 61st Street) told me that the group ended up with 21 specks in the 21?2-pound range. Hey guys, if you would have taken Lee Napoli with you, you might have limited out!

Just before having to cut off phone calls for today's deadline, I called Capt. Mike LaRue (LaRue's Guide Service) and found him a few miles out from the jetties fishing for tarpon in 40 feet of water. At that point, his charter, the Jay Garrett group from Georgetown, had raised three and landed one tarpon in the 100 pound-range. The action did not start until after 1 p.m. Remember, tarpon are catch and release!

The 61st Street Fishing Pier reported lots of action on panfish: piggy perch, croaker, sand trout and gafftops. Additionally, several fishermen caught redfish, and small hammerhead sharks were stealing bait.

From offshore:

Capt. Tony Langston, skipper of the Capt. John party boat, took 77 fishermen 45 miles south-southwest of the jetties to a spot in the direction of the V.A. Fogg (a sunken ship and one of my favorite spots). Capt. Langston reported unusually slow action on red snapper; however, it appears that other fish made the trip productive. Here's what they caught: 34 red snapper, one bluefish, 3 mangrove snapper, 91 spadefish, 21 lane snapper, one bonita, 19 vermilion snapper and nine blue runner.

The New Buccaneer was having maintenance and did not go out.

This week's Dockside Gasoline Report

All locations reported adequate supplies and prices reported are $/gallon.

• Bay View Marina (Sea Isle): $3.29.

• Galveston Yacht Basin: $3.27.

• Harborwalk Marina: $3.18.

• Stingaree Marina (Bolivar): $3.19.

• Teakwood (Tiki Island): $3.17.

To get your catch in the Reel Report, phone Capt. Joe Kent at 409-683-5273 or send an e-mail to reel.report(at)galvnews.com. There's no charge for this service.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts