Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cannot figure out what happened to the story. I wrote it, it disappeared. The photo above is a freshwater Bullhead from New York State.

Thankfully I first wrote the story on my word processor. Now I'll caputre it and try to post it again.
AJ

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st Bullhead story from Aunt Joyce

When I was just a little girl to the day he passed on, my Uncle Oscar was my favorite of all my relatives. He always called me “little girl”. When I said things I shouldn’t have, he called “miss sassy”. I cried the first time he said that.

In 1934 and 1935 my Uncle Oscar and Aunt Eva took me to their camp on a lake near Oxford, N.Y. Uncle Oscar hunted and fished. It was all to put food on the table. But there was a lot of pure joy sport in it, too. His favorite, next to hunting deer and rabbit, was catching Bullheads, It wasn’t until much later that I learned they’ commonly called Catfish. And I was surprised to find people in the south didn’t know what a Bullhead was. I’ve finally come to the conclusion that Bullhead comes from lakes and Catfish is a salt water fish

Once I was settled in and Aunt Eva was making a supper, Uncle Oscar told me to climb into his rowboat on the lake just a few yards ahead. It had a small, very quiet motor. He only rowed when we were in weeds.

I thought that he was going to teach me to fish. He said no, that I was going to help him. He had a special little life jacket for me. Uncle Oscar had been in the navy. That’s where I first heard the song “Oh, the monkey wrapped his tail around the flagpole....” I never heard the rest of it.

It was almost sunset and my Uncle carried a gas lamp in case it got too dark to see. He also had with him a rifle. This was the first time I ever saw a rifle in my life. Then he explained that we were going to go close to the shoreline this time and he was hunting bait. He told me that I must stay very quiet.

We went along the shoreline, very slowly, for a while when he picked up the rifle, told me to stay “steady”. I think I stopped breathing then “crack!”. He fired the rifle. We went very close to the shore and he stepped out of the boat in his waders. Coming back he held up a frog he had just shot.

I’m not going to talk about my reaction, remember I was only five years old. But he explained, like adults usually do, “you’ll understand later”.

Very early the next morning, before he was to take me on the Bullhead Adventure, he woke me up. “C’mon, we’re going out on the lake. Wear your sweater, it’s chilly.” Dawn was breaking and Aunt Eva started the breakfast.

Back into the boat, again with the rifle! I just didn’t like that thing. This time my Uncle had his binoculars on his lap. He kept peering through them. I had no idea what he was doing now until he said “Ah! Right over there!” Using the motor on the boat he steered us into a large cluster of Lily Pads. And there I saw a gold can sticking up out of the water between the Lily Pads. It was bobbing around.

Uncle Oscar explained to me that I was going to hold the can up with both hands for him. When we were close enough he lifted the can from the water. I could see a braided steel cord hanging on it.. When he lifted the can high enough I saw what the frog was all about. There was a big turtle at the end with his mouth partially around the frog. I could see there were several big fish hooks all on one hook.

He placed the can in my two hands and told me “steady” once again. This time he took the rifle, put the end partway into the turtles mouth and “crack!”. I didn’t enjoy this at all but he said “Little lady, that’s food for the table. The Lord filled the waters with food for mankind. It’s our responsibility to take good care of these creatures. But, we should never kill for the sport! And that’s why we must always thank the Lord for the food he puts on our table.”

I’m sure these were not his exact words.....but it’s the message I remember.

We took four turtles back to the cabin. I found out that my Uncle had taken the cans baited with frogs right after I fell asleep after supper.

Next: The Bullhead Adventure

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Cool...frog shootin' and turtle lines...and a very good lesson in in life there at the end by Uncle Oscar.I love outdoor stories from the past!!Can't wait for part 2,AJ !!:)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Bullheads, chugheads, bout de same everywhere, fun to catch. I like livin like dat. I remember shootin frogs but for der legs.

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Bullheads are a species of freshwater catfish,Aunt Joyce,like blues,flatheads,channel cats,etc.....and yeah,MuddCat,dem froglegs is right tasty...just like chicken!:D

·
Registered
728 Posts
My dad used to take us fishing for bullheads when I was a kid. There are a couple of different kinds, I think... yellows and blacks or something like that... little catfish that fry up good, travel in large schools and bite on about anything you toss at em.... We weren't big into frogs or turtles... more the perch, bluegill, bullhead kind of folks I guess... Dad liked trout fishing, pike, pickerel and muskies more than he ever seemed to care about catfishing.... I used to fish with my friends on part of the old Erie Canal in New York state. We also fished Lake Ontario, the finger lakes (Owasco and Cayuga mostly) and several small lakes, ponds and streams.... In the spring, we'd go smelt fishing (dipping) and we'd catch enough smelt (it's a small herring I think) to last most of the summer... we'd clean and freeze them to be fried whole and eaten later in the year. I can still smell fresh breaded smelt cooking in butter in a cast iron skillet in Mom's kitchen, if I try real hard... we were allowed to keep about two gallons of smelt per person... so you know why dad brought all us kids when he went LOL.... Sometimes he'd catch suckers in the dip net and he'd clean them too... he liked to pressure cook 'em for a few minutes and then he'd grind 'em bones and all to make "salmon" patties out of the suckers. Once in a great while there'd be a steelhead in the net. It was illegal as heck to keep 'em, but I'm not sure that would keep my dad from doing it... I never kept one. Dad's idea of season was salt and pepper....

TT

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
We used to catch Bullheads up in Kansas.

Bigwater

·
Registered
453 Posts
We bait the turtle lines with bullheads and keep all dem frogs for our plate. The front legs and back on them frogs is just as good eatin' as them hind legs so don't be tossing 'em.

On lake Livingston we bout caught as many big bluecats on them bullheads as we did turtles. Surprisingly I can't ever remember catching an op on the turtle lines baited with bullheads though and we caught plenty ops on perch not 200 yards from the creek we set the turtle lines in.

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
AJ, I do hope someone is saving the stories you can tell. The dumbest thing I ever did was not recording or writing the stories my Grandmother told me of her life. All that history is now lost forever. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me, too, Catfish ...

The first time I ever had Frogs Legs was when Dad took Mom and I to a marvelous restaurant outside of Binghamton, NY called "The Barn". From then on I always checked to see if I could find Frogs Legs on the menu. The only ones I ever found cost far too much.
I really am enjoying the responses to the first account of my fishing experiences as a little girl,
There's nothing like fishing....and never will be. The times you go all day without a single bite are real letdowns! But the memories of those times completely disappear when your anticipating the next day you go fishing!
And, BritishSlave, don't worry. I am saving them. Checking your profile I find you were born the year I was married.
Soon...the next story.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Aunt Joyce said:
The first time I ever had Frogs Legs was when Dad took Mom and I to a marvelous restaurant outside of Binghamton, NY called "The Barn".
Aunt Joyce, I was born in a small city in central New York (Auburn), and have been in and through Binghamton many times in my life, although I do not recall "The Barn." I have been accused of having been born in one, from time to time.
:D
Please keep your marvelous stories coming on the board. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and the pictures you posted of your Mom & Dad in the thread you posted the link for a week or so back... I like to hear folks tell about their lives, and from what I have seen so far, your recollections would read like the great American novel, should you ever be so inclined to piece them all together in one place... thanks for sharing.

Tom

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Aunt Joyce...I think you've "created a monster":D ,here.This is good stuff.If anyone else out there has outdoor related recollections of years gone by,please,feel free to contribute!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts