2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mixing my oil for my Johnson. Cut VRO in clear. Lately i've notice when i flush it on a hose there is a sheen of oil on the ground. When i start it up in the bay, notice oil sheen on top of the water. Have not been able to open it up last couple trips due to bad weather (fog and high winds).Is this just excess oil not being burned off or another problem? Thanks

·
Hoping to keep some spare change
1,410 Posts
How old is it? My '95 150 Johnson developed leaks at the bottom of the carbs. There is a brass ball that is pushed in and sealed and the sealant was dissolved and the balls came out. I used some JB Weld epoxy stick and repaired it. You can pull the cowling off and put some pressure on the fuel line by pumping the bulbs. It they are leaking, you will smell and see gas.

The older OMC's have seals in the fuel system that are not compatible with ethanol. They changed the seal material in the late 90's.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yes check inside the pan right side and look for fuel coming out of the bottom brass passage of the carbs, they leak, clean with brake clean and mix up some JB weld quick and a small screw driver and put some on the brass plug ,on the left side have to remove the air slicencer to get to the bottom inside to get to the brass passage plugs. Other wise buy 6 new carb bowls and remove the carbs, install new ones, they use to run about $22.00 each bowl. I would look for a lower unit leak first but if not look at the carbs bowl a very common problem!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 1997 115 Evinrude that does this. Mechanic says this is not uncommon at all to burn off exccess oil and have it show up like that in older OMC stuff. I was afraid I had a lower unit issue but they looked at and said it was just excess oil burn. I also had the VRO unhooked and I hand mix and always run a little rich as this motor has been notorious for hanging rings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts