2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post in quite a while. Not for lack of fishing, but for lack of production. But, like all slumps the only way out is to keep working hard.

Went to the Canyon on Saturday. Had a small blackfin hit a rigged ballyhoo about 8:00 am. About 9:00 we had a major hit on the doorknob off the short starboard rigger. Jumped in the chair and Unbound II handed over the rod. Got strapped in and the fish was shoulder shaking about 200 yds astern. Looked like a small/medium blue. First bill since June. Worked it in for about 15 minutes waiting for the second run, but it never materialized. Brought her to leader without event and what we thought was a blue turned out to be a good sized white marlin. First one for all of us. Got the polaroids and had to cut the leader due to the way the hooks were buried. It was a 180 degree rig and both were buried. Removing them would have caused way too much damage. Hopefully, she'll dissolve them and survive. Said bye as she swam away.

About noon we were watching baits when something crashed right in the middle of the pattern. During the debate over what it was the shotgun rig goes off and we're hooked up again. Turned out to be a very plump wahoo. The same 56" length as the 20 lb 'hoos you catch, only this one went 36 lbs. Made some excellent steaks. Grilled some tonight and will make some wahoo salad with the extra pieces caught. Also, made some ceviche with the slivers. Days total was a white, a wahoo, and 2 blackfin. This was my last Big Game Club Day for the season. I'm busy on the last one in 2 weeks.

Unbound II will be lauching again soon after 15 months of refits. Can't wait to take the CC out for some grocery runs. Hopefully the AJ's will stay around through October.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Congrats on ending the slump, I think you may have passed it my way. Yep, them Wahoo are getting to be my favorite. Can't imagine making a Wahoo salad instead of grilled or pan fried but maybe I'll try it.

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wahoo salad

I still eat steaks off the grill. For the salad I use the tail sections and gaffed areas. I cook it at the same time and fridge it for later, like tonight. I also cut the slivers near the spine to keep for ceviche. I've got a batch of it ready for today. There isn't much left when I finishing working over a 'hoo or tuna.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts