2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to go on a trip of my life time on a tour of deep water rigs from Galveston to Venice. We left sat. morning after the storms Fri. night, our first stop was the Duel and tossed out a spread but no takers but a cuda. We then moved out to the Ocean Saratoga and landed another cuda As eveing came we made our last stop at the Auger and had a blue come up in the spread on the left short but wouldn't hit. The pit man was quick to pitch a bait but he drifted away, I thought he would surface on the otherside of the prop wash but he never showed up. As darkness fell we drifted while we made dinner and turned on the underwater lights and I must say they are Awsome!(McGolfer I think the PhatCat will need a gen set to run those lights) it lit up a area the size of a swimming pool).The guys on the rig said the tuna have been there but while we drifted I went through a box of bait chumming with no fish to be seen.

After dinner we headed east for the night my watch started at 1am and with a big moon and mostly clear sky it was a nice ride seas were 1-2 and smooth. 5:00 am I arrived at the city of rigs, they were at all points of the compass so I stopped and woke the boys up, I think we were at the Noble Paul Romano but I can't be sure. Rigged up with top water lures and the lights on we chummed but no takers. at sun up we put the spread out again and picked up a dorado at 15or 20 lbs trolling to the Ocean Valiant. At the Valiant we added a teaser of pins and right away a blue came in and took a swipe at them and faded away, next turn around the rig the center rigger went off and a solid hook up but to our disappointment it was a big cuda. As the day wore on we turned towards South pass and came on a big long rip when we came on it the dorado came gray hounding out to greet us but theywere peanuts and couldn't take the baits. On the rip we saw a sperm whale which was a killer sight in the GOM and I saw more fish breaking the water chasing bait my expectations were growing as the area looked good and fishy. The last stop was the Ocean Lexington and a spar that was close by once again out with the spread and once again we had a blue looking at the right short but he had lock jaw and wouldn't take a bait.

That was the the last rig we would fish and headed to the pass. in the end we had 3 blues looking ,one dorado and 3-4 cudas. For me it was a trip I always dreamed of doing and it was awsome. Hopefully I can tag along when the boat comes back!

joker

Oh yea did I say we had the Billi Stix on the boat and they worked great LOL!

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Question for Deep 35 and Jokerswild?

I thought I knew most of the floater rigs and spars in the GOM, but what in the world is Duel and Tick? I work for the company that that owns the 3 rigs you mentioned beginning in Ocean. Sorry the the marlin werent a little hungrier. Sounds like a fun trip anyway.

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
Sounds likea SWEEET trip, what boat were u in for this? Also what kind of pitch baits used? Over the edge, Dual and Tic are set of 3 rigs on or right near the 100fthm curve out east from East Flower Gardens. They are standard rigs, not spars or floaters.

Possession Limit has 4 day trip planned the week after next that should be a blast but the opposite direction from which ya'll went.

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we used a 12" mac for the pitch bait and i was on a 57 monterey named the anejo like the rum i uhaaa...eeerrr got onto. the water turned really blue after the duel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts