2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take advantage of the good forcast and make our first offshore trip this weekend. Left Sargent at 7am and headed out to our first stop which was a weedline about 18 miles out. Nothing but bait at this weedline. Made another stop at a weedline at 25 miles out and caught our first ling of the year. Also seen several chicken dolphin here but decided to leave them alone. Made our next stop at a rig about 35 miles out and started live baits for kings. Caught our first king on our first pass , and several small kings which were released. While slow trolling for kings , we noticed 5 ling following the boat we decided to stop and see if they were hungry. They were. Boated one of them and caught and released 3 more. Left that rig and stopped at structure about 40 miles out for some aj action. Caught and released several undersized ajs and some small snapper. Left there and stopped at a pipe stem in the area and caught several ajs and boxed one for the freezer. While heading for a wreck , stopped at a large weedline for some dolphin action to find no dolphin , only bait. While leaving the weedline , noticed a small bundle of wood floating and decided to take a closer look. Stopped there and boxed 15 dolphin 2-4 lbs . There must have been 40-50 dolphin on this one small bundle of wood from 1-5 lbs. Left there and decided to start heading home . Stopped at another wreck and the ajs were thick. They were swarming the boat along with several undersized ling. Couldnt get live baits down quick enough before the undersized ajs ate them before the larger ones had a chance. Stopped at a close in rig to finish off the kingfish. Ended up with 2 ling, one 22 and the other 24 lbs , 15 dolphin 2-4 lbs , one amberjack 35 lbs and kingfish from 15-20 lbs. Live blue runners and ribbonfish were used for kings. Live blue runners and bar jacks were used for ajs . Squid was used for ling and dolphin. Water was blue as can be offshore and the weather was great. Seas were 2-3 early and changed to 3 to an occasional 4 late when the winds picked up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice catch

Sounds like you had a pretty nice trip. Can't wait to get my motors from Capt.Bruno put on . I'll give you a holler when I'm ready. Thanks for the report......Anthony

·
Reel Gambler
3,748 Posts
Caught a ride with a couple Saturday and show'd them around my end of the gulf. They have a 20' Mako and they said they had never limited on Red Snapper in there boat....they can't say that any more!

We also boxed a 40" Ling and one nice Kingfish that hit a mono leader intended for Ling.

Sure is odd fishing out of a small boat again. Brought back some memories of the old days.....before big BROKEN boats!

Also ran over to West Matty and pre-fished Sunday for the Texas Oilmans. We got a late start, but still boxed a few nice trout to 21".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts