2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I don't Exaggerate I just rememeber BIG!
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out from the cut at 6:30 with a crew of Cat O'Lies, BradP and my Brother-In-Law Bill (Rookie) from Austin. Plans were to head out as far as the seas would let us, in search of whatever wanted to play that day. In otherwords, we were desperate for anything that would bit!

Got thru the cut and headed SSE into 2-3 with the occasional 4 just to wake us up. BradP got only about 2 hours sleep the night before, so this kept him from nodding off. We were making decent headway at around 18-22 mph, got out to the 18 mile rigs and tried to make some bait. Cat O'Lies and Brad manned the sabikis and were hard at it, but the blue runners were being difficult. Lost a few hooks on every hook-up. The flies on the sabikis from ACademy just did not stay on after a fish or two. Anyways, got about a dozen after 45 minutes a decide to move on, burning daylight!

Headed out to the 30 mile rigs and along the way we ran into some heavy seas/wind/rain, so detoured around them to the east and got a little wet. Crew got alittle fresh water shower on the way out. We kept our optimism up with hopes the the weather would improve as we went further out. The detour was short lived and the weather starting to cooperate. Sea setted and out to the rigs. Our outlook had improved as we went along.

Got out to a rig and drifted in 120' water with only marginal success, as few small snaps ane one keeper. Mister Flipper showed up a few of his buddies and the bit was off. One thing they did was slap their tails on the surface. I had never seen this before, anyone have any ideas? (maybe upset because we didn't feed them fast enough!)

Off the deeper water, seas getting better, water has good color, find a broken-up weed line at 37 miles drop a line or two but no-one was at home! On out to rigs at 50 miles. Pull up on the upcurrent side of the rig and drop a few lines down. Get a few small snap again, hopes are not good at this point. A few more drifts, BradP gets slammed and after a few minutes the fight over, broken off! ****! The crew starts to stir, Cat O'Lies drops a blue runner 160' and get slammed and this time the fights on, back the boat off the rig, belt on and off to the fight! After about ten minutes we get to see what the bite is, all hoping the the SHARKS didn't find us. 25' feet down it is a nice AJ, Cat O'lies gets him to the boat, gaffed and in the box! Wooo Hoo 1st keeper ever AJ for Cat O'Lies! See picture below for offishal documentation.

The bites on, drop another blue runner and it get slammed almost immediately, Cat O'Lies hands off the rod the Bill (Remember landlocked Rookie!) and he gets to it. Bill fights him up to the boat, gaffed and box! Biggest fish that he has ever caught. WOW two keeper 30lb class AJ's could this get any better? Drop another down and hooked up immediately again, Brad's turn and without much effort (he makes it look so easy) the 3rd of the day is in the box. His was porbably the biggest of the day!

Well, the crew has now decide that we need to do the cycle and limits out. Sound great right! Well, the bite shut down just as fast as it started. Fished for awhile with no success. Moved to the down current side without much success. Casted for more bait and got a few. Went back to the upcurrent side for one last try without a bite.

Decided to move over to a nearby wreck to see if we can finish out our cycle and maybe get a few snaps or grouper. Crew still holding optimism, drop over a blue runner and and after a short drift he get hammered! Could tis be the 4th or does Mr. SHARK show up. Captains turn, set the hook and it is off to the races. After a couple of good runs he starts to tire out. The debate then begins, Shark or Aj at about 60' we can see the white belly but can't tell. At about 30' it is an AJ, get him up and boxed...Cool we get our 4th of the day. Tried a few more drifts and Cat O'Lies notices a ling coming by so he cast out a curly tail grub and the ling takes it. After a short fight, he gets him back to the boat, crew carefully gaffes because it is going to be close (Cat O'Lies first ever Ling). Well, time for the tale of the tape. Strech and the pitch 36 1/2" **** to small, release unharmed and swam off!

Time to head back in. Rigged up for a little bit of trolling. Man, BradP has some serious trolling lures. Get the spread out and began trolling back for about an hour, past in and around a few weed lines with the only hook-up being a chicked dolphin we basically dragged for a few miles before we realized he was on!

5:45 we are still 45 miles out, so crank in the trolling spread and it is off to the races. Seas are 2' and we sail in at 30 mph and get through the cut and the boat on the trailer and back to the house by 8:15. Unload the boat and clean the fish!

Crew gets a hot shower and my wife got dinner ready (Kings Ranch Chicken)

Tally for the day

4 30lbs class AJ's
3 small snaps
1 great day on the water
4 clean, fat and happy (tired) fishermen!

What an Awsome day!

Thanks Guys......

Attachments

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I have caught several AJs and all under 30lbs and they have all hurt me. I will have to say AJ and Jacks are the hards pulling fish pound for pound that swim in the gulf.

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Great report! Congrats Patrick and Bill on the rig donkeys!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the report & pics. sounds like the first half of the trip was a little bumpy. These reports kill me they have been calling for 2 to 3s for two weeks and I have herd of everything from 1 to 2s to 4 to 6s oh well mabey things will settle by mid week might try and make a trip Thursday out of Freeport.WE went out last Wed. and it was rough only made it out about 15 miles had the same problem with Flipper but no tail slapping mabey that was the top dog throwing his weight around wanted first dibs on your Snapper.Good fishing the Plugger

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Great report guys!!! Sounds like a hoot of a trip! That one AJ was sure fat.... This report has finally done it....after 5 weeks of back therapy I can't stand it anymore. The Twisted Fisher is off to the big pond in the morning. Need a shake out run before the POC gathering. Wish us luck hope we can post a few pics Thursday. Not going to be able to go too deep this time so probably no AJ's for us, maybe my ling and the chickens will come visit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey Sabine Stalker. If you want some AJ action holler at James Howell. We had a four man limit of really nice keepers on Sunday before 8:30. Man those things pull hard.

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Great job Mission! Congrats on breaking in the new boat! Those AJ's should grill up nicely. Paul Prudhome's Sea Food Magic and on the grill they go.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Tell Cat man doo not to hide behind that amber next time we cannot see his face...

2nd thought ...maybe that's not a bad deal .....lol...

Just poking fun at you Cat man!!!!!!!!

John

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey, Id love to go out with James, but I would like it even better to get on them myself. Looks like seas are starting to cooperate and will let us out. Now, if I could just get a day off. We just dont have them in our waters here in Sabine Pass until you're almost out of our range. 70 miles out and your still in the double digits here. We may do a Freeport Haul sometime this year though.

·
Site Sponsor
250 Posts
Great Report.
Really made my lunch go down without tasting it :( and that's bad cause I was eating kingranch chicken.

Looks like you got your engine working again. Hope to drop mine in the water, maybe Sat for a short run.

Great pics, and thanks for the detail account.
Mike

·
I don't Exaggerate I just rememeber BIG!
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
2Wahoo, Gunner, Plugger and dbarr6488..... Thank Guys for all the response.....I guess I am going to have to type alittle better.

JT...(Had me LOL!) I think Cats are camera shy!! Nahhh.... That AJ was almost as big as Patrick, we started to wonder who was going to get who....(Just kidding Patrick!!)

Mike, the engine problem turn out to be a bad injector. Got it back from the shop 3 weeks ago......All covered under warranty...Running like a champ now. Not for sure weather to risk asking ole' boatless CaptnC to go out on a trip. Ya'll know what happens when he gets near a boat!

SStalker.....You should come down to Freeport/Sargent and get into deep H2O quicker....You would enjoy it.....

Newman....If they are over 30lbs aren't they called rig-mules instead of donkeys?

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
Good report! thanks Dan for letting me fish with ya'll aboard On A Mission. We had some great pulls and got to watch Bill catch some fish that would make his bass seems like minnows after dem rig mules were in the boat! Pat/Cat O Lies, great to meet and fish with ya! Not it on the cooler thing..lol

At least On a Mission's report didn't start out like "Here is what not to do if you go out with someone else on their boat......LOL j/k Tallfin

·
Kamikaze
4,627 Posts
LOL Brad!!!! "Don't cut bait on my cooler lid guys, don't ya know that's what the plywood cutting board is for? Geezzzz!" (Dan)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts