2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heh 2coolers
a friend of mine sent me this pic to see if I could identify what purpose ithe crane would serve. i can't imagine that they would install a crane like that if they were just going to do some rework or something like that. It would seem to me that it would need to serve some other purpose.
Any ideas ?
Thanks in advance for help on this issue.
no, i don't know where it is.
no, i don't know where the pic came from. (yet)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
thats for picking the helicopter out of the water when the pilot had a few too many drinks the night before

·
Banned
237 Posts
If you look at the picture that is a brand new rig, notice no marine growth at the waterline and no risers coming up (no gas lines from the water)

There is also no gear on the deck yet.

That crane is for loading and offloading supplies when it goes into operation soon.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That would be a Oil or Gas Platform not an Offshore Rig, the crane as pointed out by Lesto is for loading and the offloading of materials and personnel from Crew boats and Supply boats. Drilling Rigs butt against these platforms in order to Drill a new Well or to Workover an old Well for many reasons. Great fishing structrue and even better when a Drilling Rig is on one with most of the unused food from the galley going into the gulf making great chum!

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
If you have a higher res pic you might be able to get the id . . . .

Just add some living quarters, a deck where the platform attaches to the rig jacket and you could ferry fishermen out for 3 day excursions.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
New type fishing pole????:smile:

·
Banned
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 day excursions

Dude, maybe you have something there.
i wonder if you could rent one of these unused platforms ?

WilliamH said:

Just add some living quarters, a deck where the platform attaches to the rig jacket and you could ferry fishermen out for 3 day excursions.

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
Obviously for loading and offloading, they sure ain't fishing with that crane. It has to be mobile (i.e. tow from one location to another), isn't it?

Edit: Why is there no counterbalance?

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
WilliamH said:

What a great idea! I know the cost of doing this would be astronomical. But think of the possibilities, an offshore platform with mooring/docking, sleeping quarters, food, showers, basic first aid attention, fuel, ice, BEER, emergency helicopter taxi service, open to the public 24/7. Or have customers fly in and land to go fishing for a day, then fly back that evening. The demand would be off the charts as would the income of the owner! (until a hurricane came thru anyway).

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
parsrobc said:
Dude, maybe you have something there.
i wonder if you could rent one of these unused platforms ?
I seriously doubt if you'd find a operator these days that would willingly allow fisherman to stay on the platforms... operational or not.

it's ALL about liability these days... and exxon, el paso, conoco, marathon, apache.... or any other of the 100 or so oil companies are going to accept a few hundred dollars and take on the liability of somone busting their ***** on one of these platforms.

however....I wonder if any kind of "salvage" rights could come into play with osme of these ancient platforms that haven't seen maintanence in 20 years?

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Look again at the pic. No wells. Once the wells are drilled, by a jackup rig, the topside equipment will be installed and the crane will have a purpose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts