2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking at some 25 w. marine radios and most come with a 3 foot antenna. For someone that is not going to go out more than say 25 miles, is a 8 footer needed. thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Several saleman told me 25 miles on a clear day with an 8' antenna...less than that on a 3' antenna. They are line of sight antenna's...so taller the better!

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Antenna Quality

Also, get the highest quality antenna you can find...............

Digital brand is about the king of the roost.

Shakespeare galaxy series also very good.

Both readily available in the Houston area.

The world's best radio is only as good as the antenna it is hooked to!

Bob

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,943 Posts
It's not just the height..

it's the gain. Every 3db is double the gain. With a 9db antenna, you can expect no more than 20/25 if you are not rocking and rolling around and the receiver has his/her antenna on a tower like Tow Boat US/ USCG etc. Ship to ship would be less. I think it can be made better, but not with out of the box uncalibrated stuff like most boats have.

You can get an antenna that also supports a cell phone as well.

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Antenna gain as told to me......

As endtuition says, higher Db gain will improve commo. The practical fact of the matter is that anything higher than 6Db on a small boat is nearly useless as the main communications antenna.

The transmitted signal around a vertical whip antenna is in the form of a torus or doughnut shape. The higher the gain, the flatter or thinner the torus until it would more resemble a CD than a doughnut.

A 9Db antenna on a second radio would be acceptable. You would, theoretically be able to transmit and receive farther, but you give up reliability due to the motion of the boat. Pitch and roll aim the signal at the water or the sky.

Very high gain antennas are best used on a stationary location, as a tower on land or an oil rig.

Bob

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Agree with Dutch

Digital is the way to go and my second choice like dutch said would be the Galaxy. I onced talked to a boat at the end of the TC Dike from 39 miles offshore with a 8' galaxy that was mounted on the gunwale of a 25' Mako. That however is not the norm, I think the moon and stars need to be alligned
properly to get that distance all the time. That radio is one of your most important pieces of equipment offshore along with a cell phone. Allways do a radio check when you break the jetties just make sure it's working.
Gater

1 - 8 of 8 Posts