2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fishing expert, but not catching expert.
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read my report from last time we did ok out of Freeport. I have only been offshore a few times so I am not too familiar with it. I got 2 kings and a 28" smack in the boat. We also had several sharks and some undersized ling. I caught them all on my 6'6" castaway waders special with a Curado and 14#test. It was a blast. We only went about 15 miles off. This time we are planning on going a little farther. What kind of lures work best for the dorado by the weedlines? Do you troll for those also? How far out do you have to go for keeper Snapper? Any hints or tricks would be great.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
Best think I found to troll for Dolphin is a small rubber squid or squid/feather lure about 3-4 inches long in Purple/black, or Green/black. Sweeten it with a small piece of cut squid on the hook. Troll parallel to the weedlines fast enough to keep the lures skipping on top the water. Usually 8-10 mph does the trick. Troll them in the clear water alleys on the sides of the wake, or in the middle far enough back to get them out of the foamy water from the exhaust. IF the dolphin are there, you'll see them making passes at the lures.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This time of the year you don't have to go out very far for snapper. head SE out from the Freeport jettys, there are wellheads & old platforms 12 to 15 miles out. fish up current from the structure and drift your bait back to them, I've killed them doing this. I even saw a party boat out at one time, wonder if it was supposed to be 30 mile trip ? LOL

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks. I really want to hook up with one this time. My wife has never seen one except in pictures and wall mounts. That might have been the problem last time, I didn't see them on top.

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We used the big menhadden last time. We caught a 5 gallon bucket full in 2 casts. Do we free-line them also? Do they work better dead or alive? Aren't the snapper way at the bottom? If so how does it get to them free-lining it? Sorry so many questions this offshore stuff it just greek to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
no kidding !!! LOL

also cary a trout rod with a silver spoon, toss it to anything you see floating eg. buckets, floats, wood. you can usually pull some chicken dolfins from under them

·
Registered
43 Posts
you dont have to fish live bait for snapper. 15 miles out you are not very deep, a big dead bait will sink unless there is a strong current, if thats the case add a sinker before the leader. I fish with a steel leader about 2 feet long, you never know when a big king or shark will hit

·
Registered
895 Posts
box of dead Cigar Minnows work great for snapper. Fish with weights about 10 ft off the bottom.

You not going to find Mahi mahi that close to shore unless your lucky(good water condition, weed line, etc...) If you do hook up on a chicken dolphin, remember to keep one in the water. The mahi mahi are a curious bunch and will congregate to see what all the commotion is about.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,919 Posts
I have found dolphin as close as 10 miles offshore on weedlines, but you need water that at least has some blue to it. You have a much better shot at mahi by starting at about 20 miles offshore. Troll C & H rattle jets at about 8-10 mph and you should find the dolphin. Once you find them, you can cast to them with your trout tackle using chartruese spec rigs. Make sure you use a quick retrieve.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen one by themselves. Even a floating 2x4 will often hold 6 or more. Whenever you encounter any floating object offshore in pretty water, either stop, or troll by it checking for Mahi.

·
Specks&Reds
1,269 Posts
last weekend i was about 10-15 miles out in our shoalwater flats cat and we found thousands of chicken dolphin around weedlines and floating objects. i had my fly rod so i caught them on that. my dad used a mirrorlure sinking twitchbait chartreuse and silver sides.. they seemed to be plentiful. but that was also the first time we took our boat offshore..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts