2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BlueWaterTX, his little bro Mike and I decided to take advantage of the weather window and do another overnighter aboard the Blue Runner (26ft. Outrage). We have had two awesome trips this month in the Falcon/Dutra/East Breaks area, but knew it would be a parking lot due to the Masters tourney and all the good reports that have come from that area this month. It was decided that we would head south this time, and see what we could find. The plan was to leave Sat. afternoon and head for the Anthills, spend the night and head for Colt 45 in the AM.

The seas were a little bumpier than forcasted, and we arrived at the Anthills around 7pm. Out went the diving plugs, too see if we could scratch up a wahoo before we tied up for the night. Sure enough, just as we were about to pull the baits, a nice little 'Hoo nails the purple/black plug and goes in the box. It's always nice to have a fish in the box right off the bat. We tied off to one of the rigs and started to bottom drop with some success. Live pinfish, ribbonfish on a kingfish leader (3 hook) and a snapper slapper/cigar minnow combo were all used, and the ribbonfish outcaught everything else by a large margin. After dealing with tons of snapper right at 16" that we released for fear of box shrinkage, we ended up with 8 that we were comftorable keeping, along with a bonus lane.

We started heading south at dark-thirty and decided to head for Peacemaker, because we could get there by sunup, but not quite to Colt 45. Arrived at around 6:00, just when night was starting to fade into dawn. We saw several schools of large yellowfin, but couldn't get any of them to play, so after about an hour we continued on for Colt. There was a really nice rip in area, sections of it looked like they belonged in an Al Barnes or Guy Harvey painting, and we just knew it was going to be on. Much to our suprise, it just wasn't. Around 11:00 things started picking up, and BlueWaterTX got a very acrobatic 38lb bull dolphin. He jumped over 10 times, it was really a fun battle to witness. Shortly after he went in the box we got another knockdown and it was a large cow dolphin. The rip had started to break up and we were dealing with large amounts of scattered salad, constantly having to clear lines. At about noon I was cranking in a Texas Turd on the long rigger, to clear the grass, and when it was about 60 feet from the boat a small blue came in behind it all lit up. He slapped it several times and stayed up for 15-20 seconds and then was gone. When I brought the turd to the boat, sure enough, it still had some grass trailing from the hook, which was most likely the reason Mr. BlueSuit wouldn't eat it for lunch. D**nit. A short time later we had another billfish of some kind blow up all over the same bait in the same position, but he didn't hook up either. D**nit again.

After having enough of the salad bar we decided to head back over Peacemaker to see if any of the rips that looked like they were forming earlier in the day had materialized. Upon arrival we found that they had not, and that the change in wind direction had broken them all up, and the scattered grass was worse than at Colt. D**nit yet again. We dealt with it for a little while and were rewarded with another dolphin before it was time to start looking for tuna. It took quite a while, but we finally found them about 50 miles due east of Port A. We were pulling Myalures, Cedar Plugs and one Cedar Plug in front of a Williamson squid chain, all at about 11 knots. The first fish to the boat was a little blackfin, not exactly what we were looking for, but a tuna none the less. On the next pass we got a triple knockdown and landed three nice skipjacks, our intended target. They might not be big or glamerous, and some people just call them bait, but IMHO skipjack tuna are simply the best eating fish in the sea. In sushi bars they are called 'fatty tuna' or toro. We started noticing some yellowfin in the school we were chasing, and this piqued everyones interest. On the next pass we got a small yellowfin on the squid chain/cedar plug combo, along with a few more skippies. This was the first yellowfin landed on the Blue Runner, causing much excitement, jubilation and margaritas. We ended up hooking two more yellowfin, to about 40 lbs, and losing both at the boat, one due to an error by the wireman and one simply came unpinned at the last second. We also caught a dolphin while trolling 12knots in open water looking for tuna, which we thought was strange. The tuna were there and we wanted to keep chasing them, but fuel and time were becoming a concern so we started the trip home a little after 5:00pm.

Running in with calm seas and a setting sun was truly a pleasure, and didn't seem to take long at all. We stopped at Woody's to weigh the big dolphin for the STAR, and it missed 5th place by 4 lbs. Yet another great day on the big blue aboard the Blue Runner!

Final Tally:

4 Dolphin
1 Wahoo
8 Red Snapper
1 Lane Snapper
1 Wahoo
6 Skipjack Tuna
1 Yellowfin Tuna
1 Blackfin Tuna

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Nice fish Andy! You working this Summer or just fishing??

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I really can't tell the difference between blackfin and skipjack once they are fileted. Both are excellent.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was misinformed . . .

Looks like I was wrong, thanks for letting me know. BlueWaterTX was in a sushi bar in Austin, asked to see what the toro was and swears they brought out a skipjack tuna (he has caught many and knows what they look like). Looks like they have some explaining to do!

I researched it a little bit, and the bonito they serve in sushi bars comes from the west coast, so it must be a true bonito. The 'sushi name' for skipjack tuna is katsuo, which I don't believe I have ever seen in a restaurant. Either way, they are delicious. We have been marinating them in an ginger/teriyaki or soy/ginger marinade, crusting in toasted sesame seeds and then lightly searing them leaving it mostly rare. Then it gets chilled and sliced super thin and served with wasabi and pickeled ginger. Slap yo' mamma good! We prepared all three (blackfin, yellowfin and skipjack) last night in this manner and everyone prefered the skipjack, I don't think it freezes as well as yellowfin though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts