2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dawn Patrol
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will try to keep this short. Went down Friday morning for my Bachelor party and had to "settle" for some trout in the Fish Pond Friday evening and wait for daylight and calm seas Saturday morning. Launched at Tweety's and went south out of the pass about 25 miles. My dad and brother were following in the Proline and stuck a 40lb ling on the first drift.

We saw a guy tied to the rig hand line about a 20lb snapper on a live 12" Blue Runner. Nice fish. We then proceeded to finish out a limit of snapper to 9lbs and a 38lb and 41lb Kingfish. Also 1 nice Rock Hind to add to the mix. Woke up Sunday morning to the flattest seas I have been out in for quite a while. We left out of the jetties at 28 knots and never slowed down 'till 30 miles.

Put a limit of snapper to 8lbs in the boat by noon and went looking for the weed lines. Found a rip with weeds about 20 miles out, but not well defined. Nothing there so went to 1 last little gas well to look for a ling and no sooner did we shut the Merc off and 2 popped up. I kid you not when I say that 1 was 6ft long and 70-80 lbs. I thought it was a Porpoise at first!! Had my rod ready with a ribbonfish and dropped it right on his nose.

Just as he was about to inhale it his 35lb "little buddy" beat him to the punch and gulped it down. We got him in the boat and never saw the big one again. All-in-all a fantastic weekend/bachelor party and most important a safe trip. Hope ya'll had a good one too!! Also my brother caught about a 6ft 100lb Black tip on the same little rig. He was released to fight another day but man what a scrap on 30lb tackle.........Evan

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
thanks for posting a report. i hope your ability to go fish won't be affected by the words "i do". we need more boats and boaters reporting on this site. it was a great weekend to be offshore.....rick

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm fixing to say those same words but that is good for me because she loves offshore more then I do I think. We've been looking at boats and boy she finds them and shows me them.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have had my boat for 2 years now and my wife has only walked up to it in the front yard one time. Never been in it. But she loves eating what I catch and if i miss a weekend of fishing she feels worse for me than I do. She works on the weekends alot so it works out pretty well for day trips. You just have to let it be known that they will not change your way of fishing. Once you let them take an inch its all over. I spend 2k on tackle this past week and all she says is. "thats great!" of course I painted the interior of the downstairs of the house, well I bought the paint and did the trim. She did the roller part. BTW have any of you guys used a spider harness from smitty? I bought one and have never used a harnass to fish so do not know for sure what is the best way to use and the best one to use. Me and another guy got our buts kicked by something on that last trip that we could not get to move and I think a harness would have helped from getting to tired. I also plan on using it for AJs. Now I just need to get my fishing pals to get themselves some too cause I am too big for them to fit in my gear.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
argo
the smitty's harness is a quaility harness. they do make several size plates that mount on the harness. get the biggest plate they make and you will be happy.....rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts