2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
748 Posts
We stick to the 1/3rd rule on fuel, 1/3rd out, 1/3rd back, and 1/3rd reserve.

So with a total of about 250 to 300 mile range depending on how we're loaded, we limit our distance to 75 miles one way.

It has definitely come in handy, if the seas pick up, have to come back into a different port etc.., fuel can quickly be in short supply if not careful

Relentless
I saw one of your shirts on a guy this morning when I was getting my breakfast taco.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Give me a call at 979-921-5 O Out of Galveston you will need to go at least 40 miles much less out of Freeport. 029 I'll give you some numbers. I was a charter captain Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Give me a call at 979-921-5 O Out of Galveston you will need to go at least 40 miles much less out of Freeport. 029 I'll give you some numbers. I was a charter captain Joe
thank you for reaching out Joe.

we went out Saturday, hit 3 reefs and a rig. The farthest was about 38 mi. no snapper.

·
Registered
166 Posts
thank you for reaching out Joe.

we went out Saturday, hit 3 reefs and a rig. The farthest was about 38 mi. no snapper.
You should limit within 40 miles very quickly. Although the tide was moving fast this weekend you should have put more weight on your line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You should limit within 40 miles very quickly. Although the tide was moving fast this weekend you should have put more weight on your line.
We were dropping 6 oz weights. they didn't seem to drag across the bottom. we were in about 50-65 ft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not sure. the boat has a 90 gal. tank.

this is the first time going out. we understand this could be a fact finding trip, catching fish a bonus.
Depending on on how that whaler is rigged, 90 gallons of fuel to get to deep water seems rather low. How many gallons an hour of fuel at what cruise rate will give an idea of how far out you go, use 1/3, to get out, 1/3 to get back, 1/3 as reserve for the unknowns. Also suggest towboat USA membership , vhf radio, and possibly additional fuel bladder so you can get to deep water. Chart out big rigs, good luck

·
Relentless
2,601 Posts
Depending on on how that whaler is rigged, 90 gallons of fuel to get to deep water seems rather low. How many gallons an hour of fuel at what cruise rate will give an idea of how far out you go, use 1/3, to get out, 1/3 to get back, 1/3 as reserve for the unknowns. Also suggest towboat USA membership , vhf radio, and possibly additional fuel bladder so you can get to deep water. Chart out big rigs, good luck
An older thread on safety gear, to go with that..

Relentless

·
Relentless
2,601 Posts
Always keep heavy weights on the boat. No such think as too heavy but definitely such thing as too light.
I usually have enough 8 and 10oz Canon ball as well as Egg Sinkers to use as an emergency anchor lol, I carry around 50lbs of them in a bucket.

I pour all my own using a couple of different molds using tire weights I get for free from a local shop. Or if I have to, buy lead ingots on ebay and the weights come out costing me about .20 cents each

Way better than the $2 to $5 each I see in some of the fishing stores

Relentless

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
748 Posts
I usually have enough 8 and 10oz Canon ball as well as Egg Sinkers to use as an emergency anchor lol, I carry around 50lbs of them in a bucket.

I pour all my own using a couple of different molds using tire weights I get for free from a local shop. Or if I have to, buy lead ingots on ebay and the weights come out costing me about .20 cents each

Way better than the $2 to $5 each I see in some of the fishing stores

Relentless
Where did you get the mold for these? I have about 500lbs of clean lead waiting to be melted and the toofy critters were hard on my reserves lol

·
Relentless
2,601 Posts
Where did you get the mold for these? I have about 500lbs of clean lead waiting to be melted and the toofy critters were hard on my reserves lol
For the 8oz and 10oz annonball sinkers I use this

For the Egg sinkers I use this one

For the lead heating I use this Amazon.com: The Hot Pot By Palmer Manufacturing: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

With the price of weights each one is only about 10 or 12 weights if you had to purchase them already made

The times buy lead, I sell a portion of the sinkers to pay for the lead so it's still free sinkers

Once the molds are heated up, torch or a few lead moldings, they produce near perfect sinkers.

It goes pretty quick, I keep a 5 gallon bucket full of water, after I pour the lead, I open up over the bucket and let the weights fall in to cool them off

Whatever you do though, DO NOT dunk the mold in the water, it can be dangerous.

1) you want to keep the mold hot, the lead pours better. Pre-heating to a couple hundred degrees with a blowtorch will help get you their quicker and help dry the mold and prevent #2 below from happening

2) More importantly, any moisture in the mold, when you pour the lead, it will turn to steam and blow molting lead all over.

I found that out the hard way over 30 years ago. I have a mold for smaller weights for may fishing. The first time I used it, I thought you would need to cool the mold (no internet back then to YouTube for how-to lol).

The next time I poured lead, I thought the mold was dry, there must have been some moisture I didn't see, it turned to steam and blew molting lead all over the ceiling, lucky I didn't get any, especially my eyes.

From then on, dry mold, no need to cool it and it works much better when it's hot

Relentless

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If interested I have a bunch of molds and lead looking to get rid of due to not having time to pour lead anymore cannon ball mold 4 & 5 pound stick weights 7 & 9 pounds all kinds of bank sinkers egg weights trolling weights etc.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts