2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has a 27" Whaler. Going offshore out of Galveston this weekend. Beginner at this. Suggestions on where to try for snapper, kings?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Buy a Gulf of Mexico Hot Spots map at Academy if they have them. Take a VHF radio if you have one. You'll be outside cell service.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
Get in touch with Elgatoloco and buy Rik's book. Its full of spot on numbers.

·
Relentless
2,597 Posts
Offshore out of Galveston is difficult. I grew up fishing that area, to get to decent fish I look for structure in 100ft+ depth.

Galveston is flat and shallow, to get to 100ft depths you will be running 40-50 miles offshore or more.

You'll save the time and be able to get to much better fishing driving the extra hour or so to Freeport

Relentless

·
Registered
199 Posts
Offshore out of Galveston is difficult. I grew up fishing that area, to get to decent fish I look for structure in 100ft+ depth.

Galveston is flat and shallow, to get to 100ft depths you will be running 40-50 miles offshore or more.

You'll save the time and be able to get to much better fishing driving the extra hour or so to Freeport

Relentless

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your input. We aren't taking for granted by getting out there it will be easy catching fish. Just looking for advice from those in the know. My friend does have the map recommended that shows structure and depth.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
With 90 gallons will be tough out of Galveston runing safely on fuel conservation.

I will shoot you a pm with my cell phone number shoot me a text and I will give some areas to go fish this weekend.

Tom

·
Kamikaze
4,569 Posts
you can catch kings all day within 10 miles of shore trolling ribbon fish, just find green water

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
713 Posts
Run out of Freeport to Tall Rock (Steeple Rock) and start graphing... it’s only 33 miles and it’s low hanging fruit.

·
Relentless
2,597 Posts
With 90 gallons will be tough out of Galveston runing safely on fuel conservation.

I will shoot you a pm with my cell phone number shoot me a text and I will give some areas to go fish this weekend.

Tom
We stick to the 1/3rd rule on fuel, 1/3rd out, 1/3rd back, and 1/3rd reserve.

So with a total of about 250 to 300 mile range depending on how we're loaded, we limit our distance to 75 miles one way.

It has definitely come in handy, if the seas pick up, have to come back into a different port etc.., fuel can quickly be in short supply if not careful

Relentless

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not wanting to cause any issues, but 90 gallons fuel capacity seems mighty small for a 27’ Whaler.
Might suggest double checking that.

My 27’ Sea Hunt has 180. Good luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi starfish.
Why don’t you try around the buccaneer artificial reefs. You have the range. Red and mangrove snapper on the bottom, troll/drift for kings, ling, bull reds, etc, etc…

Good luck…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 23 Posts