2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out at 7AM on Sunday with my son and a buddy of his from school and his dad - a great father's day for the two dads! Had talked with bernie (bg) two days before, and we were coordinating our efforts.

Headed out to the Gulf King wreck, and stopped at a few rigs on the way out to make bait. Slim pickings. Rigs that two weeks ago were covered in hard tails were pretty barren. Finally found the mother load at one stop, loaded up and finished the journey. Got to the wreck and there was a boat already fishing it, set up ahead of the wreck to make a drift - I have fished the wreck before with a couple of boats - only to have this guy start up and head at us. He positioned himself between us and the wreck and kinda idled our way. Moved over to set up again, and he does the same thing. Never said anything. I figured there was too much ocean to put up with this on such a nice day. Headed to the Betsy.

Three boats - including bg - and us fishing the Betsy. First three drops produced three nice AJs. Caught a nice snapper as well. The other three boats left after about an hour - leaving us all alone. Drifts were real slow, so we broke out the chum churn. On two successive drifts we had the small AJs right at the boat - really cool. We spent the next hour or so trying to pick up our last AJ, and caught some ling, a shark, etc. Used up the last of our livies to no avail. Kept four ling around the boat for about a half hour - all were undersized but they were fun to watch. Saw about a 7' hammerhead chasing bait as well.

Stopped at a couple of rigs on the way in - no snapper. Did have a smoking run on the flat line - which resulted in a broken leader when I tightened down the drag to keep the fish out of the rig. Live and learn!

Seas were FLAT! Ran in at about 40 (the only way we had all day to cool off was to run somewhere).

Picture below is my son Marshall with his first AJ - number two came later. Can't wait until he catches a real rig donkey!

All in all a great week - hammering the trout Tuesday with Aubrey in Baffin, and an absolutely wonderful day with great people on Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
snaps are in close 8-18 miles . . . b/t me and my buddies we had 8 or 9 limits over the weekend 6-8 lb range . . one was 21 lbs

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
Here you guys are at the Betsy.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great to see another Sea Cat out and about! Glad you guys got into some fish. We got skunked weekend before last on Snapper. But caught a boat load of Barracuda. It was fun to hear the reels scream in a slow troll with ribbons.

---kyle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts