2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out around 7:30. Forecast looked OK, but the talk on the 610 fishing show had us a little worried - 4' seas at the Galveston buoy and 20MPH winds. Loaded the boat with three buddies and went anyway.

It was what my grandad used to call sporty - 3' seas with the occassional 4+ mixed in. Made our way at about 22kts to the Gulf King area. Stopped at a rig on the way out and put some live bait in the boat. Stopped at the first shrimp boat at about 20 miles - nothing!. Went to the next shrimper around 30 miles out, and as we pulled up the deck hand said there was a nice dolphin swimming around. Put our baits in the water and saw a bunch of chickens, and could see the bigger fish in the mix as well. Put six chickens in the box in the first two drifts, plus on king, and decided to troll to pick up the bigger fish. Had the baits out about 2 minutes before we had him on. Ended up scaling 19# - very nice fish!

Continued to some rigs. Hopped to three different rigs, with a stop in between to replenish our bait supply. Final tally was 7 AJ (kept one) six nice snaps and one grouper - plus our dorado and lone king.

Ride in was MUCH nicer than the ride out - came back in at 26 kts.

No pics - left the digital at home. Heading out tomorrow out of Freeport - should be nice. Wind and seas were starting to lay as we ran in.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,046 Posts
Did you hit the areas I mentioned? How big were the AJ's you were catching? 7 AJ's is a pretty dern good day!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bernie - as rough as it was we elected to go a little father east. A run to the Betsey or 105s form there would have been in a following 3- 4' sea - and I wasn't really up for it.

Bomb - biggest AJ was about 30# - had a number of 30" fish as well. We caught the hardtails at a rig about 14 miles out - a rig I used to fish for sanpper when I had my little boat. We just us sabikis to catch them - varying depths until we find them. We have a spot that holds medium sized fish regularly - doesn't usually take us long to get 20 - 30 baits.

Just got back from a trip with Captain Elliott's - took about 30 guys from the plant on our annual offshore trip. We charter boats on two successive weeks so that everyone can go. The trip last week had 4 snaps over 15# and a full limit of AJ. THey even had a mako on for a while. We weren't as lucky. Only a couple of AJs, and the biggest snap was 8#. Did catch some huge beeliners though - I had five all 3 - 4#. All in all a great day with the guys on the water.

Will be out of commission for a few weeks - starting another round of overseas trips. Steering is out on the boat - so I am going to pull in Wedensday and put in in the shop. Berine - will drop you a line in a few weeks when we get back in commission.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Saturday?

Hey BP, did you guys get caught in a storm Saturday morning? We trailored down to Matty and got in the river around 7 and saw what appeared to be a huge storm just offshore. We waited it out and broke the jetties a little after 8 and it got choppy on us. We went to a shrimpboat about 10 miles or so and caught some small kings and 2 chickens. I'm glad you got out there and had a good day.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We didn't clear the jetties until about 7:45AM - was running late and needed to put about 130 gl of fuel on board.

I saw the storm as well - but it was off to the West slightly. As we were running about 150 it didn't bother us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts