2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleared the jetties around 6:30 and headed out 15 miles to a rig for a quick stop in search of blue runners.Those sabiki rigs sure do break off easily if a big blue runners is on, however, we ended up catching 6 blue runners to start off our day.Stopped at another rig about 35 miles out and tied up to it.Pretty much immediately started getting action on our live bait!From the very start of the strikes, we knew all the hits were amberjack with how they were diving quickly.Sadly, we weren't able to bring any AJs into the boat considering they were hauling butt to the structure as soon as they took the bait.I swear even if you crank down that drag all the way those AJs still have the amazing power for their size to dive down into the rig and break off.Overall, we had 3 HUGE breakoffs at this rig before the AJ action suddenly stopped completely.I even tried to fish on bottom for some snapper action but didn't get one hit.Decided to go to another rig a few miles further out.Once again we tied up to it and pretty much immediately started getting hits by big AJs.Although, this time we were able to tire some out and bring three into the boat.On the other hand, we had probably 5 more break offs in the rig from those AJs.One breakoff was pretty amazing because the fish basically didn't break off in the rig but managed to untie the hook from the leader!That had to be one darn big AJ to do something like that!Saw ominous clouds further offshore so we hauled butt in with three AJ caught.I believe every single one of our hits out there that day was from an AJ!The three AJs we managed to catch weighed 28.5#,25#,and 22#.Was a Great day to be on the big blue with all that AJ action!By the way,if anyone has any helpful tips on how to keep those AJ from breaking off in the rig then it would be appreciated.

Tightlines, bomb13

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
Instead of tieing onto the rig, back into it and make your drop. When you get hooked up, put the boat in gear and drag the fish away from the rig. Once you get them in open water, you can beat them.

Sounds like a good trip. Wish we'd been able to get out over the weekend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts