2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left GYB at 7:00 am this past Teusday right after a big t storm crossed the island. Listened to the forecast and bouy report. The lady said seas 2-3, winds northeast 5-10 knots. Bouy report said 20 mile east of Galveston seas 3ft period of 4 seconds. A little choppy! 65 miles south of Freeport said seas 1 ft. 6 seconds, Flat! I figured it would be choppy out to about 30-35 and only get better.
The computer lady was wrong and so was I! We ran just inshore of Stetson, 25 knots, rain and wet. Lightning, thunder storms, rain, and a few spouts.
We did manage a good group of snapper to 12# (didn't hit the good spot Kevin)
and 3 aj's biggest going 62# the biggest of the year for us so far. It was only in 165ft of water. A little unusual for a donkey of that size!
The best of the day was when we caught 6 big blackfins under a shrimp boat in 155Ft of water. Could have caught them all day but had a dock to get back to.
I wasn't looking forward to the 65 mile run home in 4-6 fters with a stiff 15-20 knot northeast breeze.
at about 45 miles out things got a lot better and by 20 milea we were cruising 43 knots.
To top the day off the guys in the orange raft boarded us right in front of the ferry landing.
Must have been a training session. I just threw all the jackets, raft, licenses, flares, throw rings at them and they were happy.
I did get a laugh out of the captain of the rubber boat. The rookie doing the interviewing asked me why I didn't stop when he turned the blue lights on, I said I usually look forward when I'm driving a boat.

Capt. Jeff Gerrans

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
good spot

you better stay off that good spot until I get a chance to go with you.

Besides, you have plenty of good spots to choose from, did you use my gaffs to land those fish, I want them back.

PS: Did you let someone else catch that donkey or did you knock everyone over gettin to the rod?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Donkey

Actually I hooked it and handed it off. I know better than that! And to top it off, I forgot the belt. Those guys had bruised bellies!
I'll let you know when we go to the spot.

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chaching??

Jeff, I thought your friend was too sick and you've been out of pocket for a while. Guess that's not the case. What's up with the rest of our deposit??

·
Registered
17 Posts
"Capt" Jeff Gerrans

Anybody know this guy? He has some of my money that I'd like to get back...some of his Chaching is my Chaching.

·
Registered
589 Posts
CHA CHING said:
To top the day off the guys in the orange raft boarded us right in front of the ferry landing.
Must have been a training session. I just threw all the jackets, raft, licenses, flares, throw rings at them and they were happy.
I did get a laugh out of the captain of the rubber boat. The rookie doing the interviewing asked me why I didn't stop when he turned the blue lights on, I said I usually look forward when I'm driving a boat.

Capt. Jeff Gerrans
What???
You threw it ALL at them?
Glad that I ain't riding you cowboy... You sound like a danger to yourself.
You don't seem to give a sheet for your paying passengers.
You wanna take my boss out fishing???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cha Ching or is it Cha Cheat?

I keep getting the name of the boat confused. Gerrans, what's the name of the boat again?

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
you already started a thread on this, did you not? In case you don't know it, I own this site, and Monty Weeks is my real name. If you want to post your real name and a factual description of whatever problem you have, then that's fine. If not, take a hike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lang is my name and Jeff is well aware of what the problem is along with the Better Business Bureau. I heard he has a following of sorts on this bulletin board and I'm just trying to get our money back. Simple as that. Monty, as the owner of this site, you have every right to tell me to take a hike and I will. I just think that people who participate on your site should know that as long as there are business people in the charter business don't treat their customers right, it will affect the honest owner/operators that run a good, clean business.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Land, then post up with whatever you sent to the BBB, word for word. I find it hard to believe that you actually filed a complaint, but if you did, I want to see what your beef with this man is. He's treated me with respect the times I have run into him offshore and you shouldn't be afraid to post the facts of your side of this if you have a legit complaint. Jeff neither sponsors this site, nor have I ever had personal dealings (aka hired) the man, but I won't put up with personal attacks that aren't based on factual information. Let's have the facts and there won't be a need for you to take a hike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fair enough, Monty. And I will be glad to provide you with the file number the Better Business Bureau has on Monday. We received Jeff's response to the complaint yesterday and it is at work.

5 of us booked a trip with Jeff in May. We stayed at a hotel, bought all we needed for a 12 hour trip only to find out Cha Ching had a fuel pump problem. We attempted to go out only to return as the boat would not plane out. He had a mechanic -actually the guy at the slip next to him - try to fix it. We went out again only to find the problem wasn't fixed. Jeff offered to take us on the smaller Cha Ching the following day but it didn't have a head - and me being the only woman on the trip required a head. He offered to rebook or refund. We had already spent over $500 on this non-event, not including the deposit, but we rebooked for 3 weeks later. A few days before the trip, Jeff emailed us that the boat was still broke and he had an attorney working on the problem with Cabo. He was sorry. From that point on, we tried everything to get our deposit back with no results until we contacted the Better Business Bureau. Jeff has refunded us about 3/4 of the deposit with many, many promises to issue a full refund. He always has an excuse - friend got hurt and he's at the hospital, he'll drop it by and never does and we have been more than patient with him. He doesn't return emails and he doesn't return phone calls. However, if you email him about a trip, the response is immediate. Jeff claims he's not a liar or a cheat but he certainly has not done anything he has promised to do.

He has been less than honest with the Better Business Bureau and we will provide his emails to us with our response which will refute his story. At this point, if we can help other fishing enthusiasts find good, honest guides, this whole thing would be well worth it.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
so, at this point, how many dollars does he owe you on the deposit refund?

Being in business for myself, I can honestly say that talking down the competition won't do you any good, nor anyone else. I stay in business because I am good at what I do, not because the competition doesn't know what they are doing.

Aside from that, if you happen to be only a customer and not involved in the charter business, then I am here to tell you, boats break down. It's part of the game. But again, badmouthing someone over what seems to be a small amount of money due on a refund, probably won't affect anyone's decision on who to book. What will do that is relating postive experiences with folks that you would book again with in a heartbeat.

At any rate, understand where I am coming from, as a site owner and realize that your first two posts on this matter were way out of line. This thread seems productive, so lets' hear the rest of your story and also realize, I am going to contact Jeff to offer up his side of things.

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
It sounds like to me the guy was VERY fair and tried several attempts to make you happy, including offering you a refund to start off with. I guess I am missing your problem.
I also guess you can't please some people. The man has refunded 3/4 of your money by your own statement, and has promised to get you the rest when he can (sometimes things happen, and since this IS the off season, cut the guy some slack, most guides are in skinny cash this time of year)

In my opinion, it's you that are being unreasonable just by what you wrote.
Sorry if you get upset, but that's my take on it from what I just read.

Kay

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Looks to me like he don't want to give the rest of the deposit back. It has been since May and I am sure he has had more trips since then. He has had all summer to make this right. Has his boat been broke down all this time? I have to agree with Clang on this matter. I don't think I would book him based on what I have seen here. I was always taught if you say your going to do something do it.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
I don't think she is being unreasonable. If you are owed a full refund, you should get one. If someone owed me money and only paid a portion back, I'd want all of it and not part of it. I'm sure you would too. I'm not saying anything bad about Jeff, just that we'd all try to do what we could to get what we felt was owed to us. The beef is between the two of them. Nothing said here would prevent me from using Jeff as a guide since he has a great rep. 1 person having a problem with him with 99 folks enjoying using him shouldn't stop anyone from using him. Hell, I've known many folks that had problems at Wal-Mart but I still shop there. I wouldn't call the woman "unreasonable" for bringing up a problem though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
B-Bill, you are right about the Wal-mart story. My ex is a charter boat captain out of Clearwater Beach FL and has been for 25 years. We owned and operated a 40ft sport fisher, twin diesel cats so I know all too well how boats break down, the good and bad times of the year, the amount it takes just for upkeep and insurance. But I also know that if you have a customer who books with you a couple times a year, that's like finding gold. Jeff had that chance but he blew it. He still owes us $130 and I would not recommend him to anyone no matter how good of a guide he is. Many guides have the talent to find good fishing holes. What I look for in a guide is someone who does what he says he will do and I look for that in all my business dealings.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
All this over $130? On Thanksgiving weekend? Hardly seems worth it to me to get yourself blackballed at GYB.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.