2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out early this morning to 25 miles with my brother, his friend, and my wife's BIL. we caught 4 king fish, 1 red @ 27.5", 2 legal snappers at 16 3/4" and 17", and some large spade fish. we caught 1 grouper that was about 12" long. to top it all off i got either a little tuney, a frigate mackerel, or a atlantic bonito that weighed 10 lbs. on a trout rod. he put up a 20 min battle. the meat was very red if anyone could help out on a positive ID. they all look the same in the book i have. I do not have a close up pic. it was out best outting in a long while. everyone caught fish, we all got a little to much sun, and it was a great way to end our week of vacation.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Most of the "bonita" looking fish that we catch in this area are little tuney. All my friends call them bonita and I stay quite (or usually call them bonita also)about it but have some good pictures showing their slight difference. Little tuney look just like bonita but don't get as big. So that 10 pounder might be the real McCoy. If it had 4-5 dots in a row under the lateral line its not a bonita.

There is red and then real red meat. Separate out the less red meat (75%) for good eating is what I've heard. I've only tried it once. We used it for ceviche before httting the dock and it was good with a special flavor.

Be careful coming back in shore with a redfish. Last I'de heard they are only leagle in state waters.

Thanks for the report.

·
Fat boy fresh
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I caught the red out around the n. jetty. what i meant in my previous post was that we went out and made stops from 25 miles out, all the way back in to the jetties. thanks for the id i'll find out how it tasts smoked tomorrow for my brothers bday. gonna grill the kingfish and the "bonita".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts