2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Take a deep breath, this might be a little long;

Due to a last minute cancellation of part of my crew, I headed out south with Chris aka Capt Blood. We set a course for the W27 and, thanks to easy going seas made it there in short time. Drifted several spots in the area and picked up 4 nice snapper, all at least 20". One spot had a few gaffer dolphin under the boat and both were boated making a nice box of fish already. Fishing was kind of wierd, though. We were picking up these 2-4' sharpnose sharks ALL DAY. I really hate those things. The bigger ones fight really well, but the smaller ones are like pulling up a sack of potatoes. There were kingfish all over the place at the 27s by the way. We chose to avoid them save the one that picked me up at a depth of 100'. He went about 20lb and to the displeasure of Capt Blood I threw him in the fish box. We bumped a few more spots in the general area and found a HUGE sow home for Chris to struggle with. He weighed 25 on the boga. Huge fish. By the way, we saw the crew of the Genesis One pull up a huge 20lb+ sow at the 27's. Nice fish guys.

With 5 solid snapper in the box and a couple of nice dolphin for good measure, we decided to fish our way home and finish our limit. We hit several rocks and wrecks south of German Charlie and found nothing but sharks. Hit German Charlies and not much there but what looked to be the reenactment of the Dunkirk Boatlift anchored there. We did see a nice beeliner floating on the surface. I guess that somebody thought it was an undersized snapper and threw him to flipper. Thanks NMFS for such a sound strategy to rebound the population of our orange friends. We hit several rocks and wrecks homeward and finally filled our limit, but not without picking up several sharks in the process. Hammered it home with 2 limits of snapper, including a 25lb sow, 6 fish over 20" and one 16" fish, 2 nice dolphin, 1 nice king and 2 sore fishermen.

Here is the portion of the post that will serve as an unpaid advertisement to Rik Jacobsen. As those of you have fished on my boat may know, my sounder is a total POS (it came with the boat, I just have not replaced it yet). It is ok for anything under 100' (or an anchor, or a cupholder, or the beginnings of a reef) but for anything useful, it sucks. We fished all day blind, just trusting Rik's spots on the GPS and drifting the area. Actually, I have been doing this all year with pretty good success, but a snapper veteran like Blood could not get over the fact that we were snapper fishing without a sounder. Rik's spots are dead-on and have never failed me. John with Tightlines, I will be calling you about a Furuno sooner than later. The origonal plan was to wait until fall but it might not wait that much longer.

The pics; Chris will probably add some later. Please add the pics of the 2 porpoise if you can.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Jeff .... man was I sick to my stomache that I had to call and cancel. Turns out I blew my head gasket on the car .... wont be fishing ofr a while :cry:

Great report, maybe next time.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Beautiful pics/great report & Thanks!

Super pictures! Great trip! Love to adjust a new Furuno for you. No charge as we have still not finished our last trip. Thanks for the kind words. I try to make the readings accurate enough to do just as you did. Thanks again, Jeff & Chris.P.S. Sorry everyone! I am very busy. Rik

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Nice solid Snaps!

Wish I could have made it MITB...... were going to rename yore bote if you keep rattling up all those freakin sharks. Maybe "Sharktooth" oh wait, that's the name of Capt. "richard" head's boat LOL

BTW, lets talk about more about taking the family out.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Man... figured the doo-rag would make an appearance from here on out. Just make sure to wash it before each trip. LOL Nice report. Vegas was hot... real hot.

·
Banned
192 Posts
manintheboat , lovely fish , but now since you pointed out where the Gen:1 was stealin the sows from the ocean , good luck finding us next trip .... >:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts