2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
headed out at daylight on sun morning. broke the jetties at sun rise. made a stop around a bouy at 20 miles and caught a few live baits. kept moving out to around 60 miles and hardly another boat on the water. fished some humps for about 2 hours and 3 of us boxed 5 snapper with 3 going over 6 lbs. caught a trigger or two and then the sharks came. we moved to a group of around 6 shrimp boats in a 2 mile radius. 1st boat we saw bonita, dolphin and more so we pulled out the trout rods and tossed some white jigs. just about burned my right thumb print off and the drag washers landing bonita on 10 lb test. fun but only a couple times, i wanted some dinner. couldn't keep the baits away from the bonita long enough to get some dolphin. it slowed so we hopped to the next shrimper. i landed a ling that came just a few inches short, more bonita and a few decent sharks on the larger bait rods. couldn't find any more dolphin. at the last shrimper, we notice a random bouy and decide to check it out. here we found the dolphin and boxed two with the third in the water we see a monster wahoo! it was followed by a another big one(around 5 ft) but the first was 7 ft easy! it looked like a freaking sea monster! tossed jigs and jigs tipped with ballyhoo or pogies or squid... nada it would hang around and follow baits in but no hits. we decided to try and troll 'em up. about 15 minutes into trolling we realize... duh, live bait. don't know why we didn't think of it but lesson learned. must have all still been stunned by the sheer enormity of this wahoo. porpoises moved and and no hits trolling so we decide to start the trek back in. made a few more stops on the way in but we could only find sharks. last stop at a wreck around 25 miles we found a few nice ones for the box. whille drifting this little spot, a charter moves in and parks right on top. we're cool, plenty of fish for everyone. we're drifting around them and manage a few nice snapper on big baits and jigs. they're just catching 12 inchers on cut. then we notice the deck hand boxes one. maybe it wasn't red. we drift by w/in 10 yards and watch him box 3 more little snapper. not naming any names... m bar e out of freeport, but i'll testify that they looked mighty red to me and not one over 12 inches. anyway, gettin close to sunet and we head in, cleaned fish and boat and home dead tired at 11:30. thanks scott(probably better known as the guy who caught the huge bull but forget to register for star) had a blast!! add anything i forgot about.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
or shot it with my compound bow. i have the fishing setup for gar/carp, but i know that zebco 808 wouldn't do the job. maybe a large spinning rod n reel, but not sure that would be fast enough. that is probably not legal either. might be fun around those shrimp boats too. one way to stay away from the bonita and get to the dolphin.

thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts