2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
omanj
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend Dwayne, his 16 year old son Keith and I left the jetties at 8:30 A.M. and proceeded on a 148 degree heading to the West 21's. We had a feeling today was going to be a good day with all of the schools of bonita we saw heading out past the last buoy. About 10:15 A.M. we got into a weedline and proceeded to have a ball with 3-5 lb. chicken dolphin. After one hour and thirty minutes, we left them to pursue bigger game at our original destination. When we arrived, we started a drift and Dwayne drew the first snapper-a nice 4 lber. I caught two 3 & 5 lbs and Keith landed a two lber. Several times we were hooked up to some big fish and either the hook pulled out or they broke the leader. Finally, I hooked up and got to the surface about a 4 ft. shark. Between the three of us, we released about 15 of those damned things and in between, we caught some more snapper and I released an undersized ling. Late in the afternoon, we were on one last drift and I looked in the water and saw the most amazing sight it has been my pleasure to see in the Gulf-a twenty-five foot whale shark! He came right up to the stern and he had some remoras and more importantly, he had a small school of good-sized ling. I yelled "Get the camera" and Dwayne somehow managed to find it in the cuddy and proceeded to take some pictures. Meanwhile, I hooked up to a keeper-sized ling and was fighting to keep him from going under the whale shark that seemed mesmerized by our boat and the strange creatures that were laughing and pointing to it. Keith got down to the swim platform and Dwayne got some pictures of him petting the whale shark. I finally convinced Keith to get a line in the water in the hopes of keeping the school of ling to the boat. He hooked up to a small one and Dwayne netted it. Meanwhile, my fish was ready to be landed and Dwayne got the gaff and landed him before the hook wore through the ling's mouth. The whale shark left us as soon as we landed my ling and we managed to catch a few more sharks and one more snapper before heading in. All in all it was the most awesome day I have experienced in a long time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A Whale Shark out of Freeport. Thats got to be a heck of a site. Can you post the pics of it soon. Sounds like a hell of a trip to me. Nice report.

·
omanj
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whale shark photos

Thanks, it was truly an amazing sight. His head was about eight feet wide. I hope to post them this week. I have to scan them at a friend's house due to the photos were on a 35mm disposable camera.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Whale Shark

Omanj, that's cool ya'll saw and petted a whale shark. It's an awesome sight. I was fishing Cerveza Rig about 75 miles out a couple of years back on an overniter and saw a whale shark. Took the pic attached. I've seen pods of Baluga (sp?) whales also. They have that big ole hump on their head and about 12 to 20 foot long. Next I want to see the Killer Whales that have been reported in the gulf. Sweeeeeeet.

RustyHook

Attachments

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
During our Possession Limit trip this past weekend (9-4-04) we stopped at the Flower Gardens to do a dive. I don't dive, but I have a mask and flippers. So I did a little snorkling around the boat. Just after I got out of the water one of the guys onboard yells....WHALE SHARK and he tells me to put my gear back on. So I do and jump in.....I was able to swim up behind the fish and grab it's tail. It took me on a very smooth ride for a few moment before I let go......TOO COOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts