2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleared the Freeport Jetties at 5am. Started fishing near Tequila not to long after sunrise. Water was nice. Didn't do a thing a Tequila and the only other boat there, a Whaler tied to the rig, didn't look to be doing much either.
Trolled to Hill Tops, nada, the water was exceptionally clean, no weed at all.

Decided to move in a bit towards Little Campeche. Found some weed and debris and caught a nice wahoo. Little while later we caught a couple of Dorado, one 4lbs and the other a nice 20lbs female. Couple of hours later we had a surprise. Quadruple strike. Two rods started screaming simultaneously, then a third, slowed the boat down and got to witness a huge explosion on the fourth, nearly stationary, lure. Ended up boating three of the four, all yellowfin Tuna between 50 and 70 lbs. That was it for us, no more bites. Had a nice ride back in calm seas.

Tropicalsun
Rob

·
Offshore
503 Posts
wow!

Sounds like a fish story to me. I think I speak on behalf of most board members when I request not only photos, but video as well:cop:

Just kidding. Bet there was pandemonium when the quadruple strike happened. Nice teamwork on boating 3 outta 4.

How big was the hoo?

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
How exciting must that have been. 4 rods screaming with yellowfins. Bet that got the old pumper going. Sounds like it turned into a good trip afterall. Congrats.

·
Kamikaze
4,584 Posts
What kinda boat were you in? you left the Freeport jetties at 5 am and were fishing Tequila just after sunrise? That is about 1 hr and 15 min of time and Tequila is about 70NM (91 miles) from the jetties.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Good job

Did you happen to see the sonar before they hit. I wonder how deep they were. Might have been a nice school. My guess is three fish reacted and the fourth fish came up after see the exposions. It must have really nailed the stationary lure. I wish you did have that on video. Good job

·
Kamikaze
4,584 Posts
Clarification! Were you fishing at Tequila, or with tequila? Cause that would explain a lot!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I thought Tequila was 75 miles from the freeport jetties. That's definately doable. Tequila is 10-15 miles from salvador ridge which is 65 miles from the jetties.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Right at 68 n.m., but it kinda depends on where you start counting - base of jetties, welcome bouy, or somewhere in between. I envy people with fast boats on the days with calm seas.

·
Kamikaze
4,584 Posts
Hey Dunc, isn't that nautical miles you are posting. If it is, multiply by 1.3 for land miles.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
Cat I think you might be wrong cause I have to different conversion tables in front of me and both have

1.15 miles = 1 knot

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gentlemen,

perhaps my wording could of been better but I didn't say we were at Tequila, I wrote, "near Tequila not to long after sunrise" However, we were in a 26ft Glacier Bay, running at 29knots turning 4200 rpm, and it wasn't dark, the moon was darn near full, skies were clear...and we have radar.

I was keeping on eye on the depth/fish finder and we definetly did not mark them before the bite. You can be sure that we stored the coordinates right after the bite and came back and fished the area pretty hard but never found them again...and to be honest, we didn't find them as much as they found us.

I have never had multiple yft strikes here in the gulf. In fact, I have only caught three yft while trolling during the day here in Texas. I have had many multiple strike instances in Hawaii (lived there) and on a few occassions marked the school before the bite. I am positive that there were far more tuna than the four we had bites from! The first strikes came on the lure closest to the boat(3rd wake) and the next corner lure (4th wake) then the stinger (furthest from the boat) we slowed down and I started to clear lines when the fourth hit the short rigger (5th wake) and as much as I would of liked to have a video for you all...it's running over and over in my mind right now!

And, gonna have a little cajun seared Ahi sashimi for dinner!

tight lines,
Tropicalsun
Rob

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Envy isn't pretty

Just because I have never had a double on YF, much less a four bagger, and I'm having enchiladas for dinner and not very rare fresh tuna.......Tropicalsun, if you Cajun-sear the tuna it's not sashimi. That method is called tatake (tah-tah'-que). Try it on king mackerel with quick and dirty ponzu sauce (equal parts mirin, dark soy sauce and fresh lemon juice). That elevates king to something special.

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
Double and triple hookups used to be the norm while trolling spars and hoover diana, and in most cases still are. It's cool to hear that many schooled closer in, I wonder if they were working the shrimpboats in closer than where ya'll were and were moving back to deeper water. Was there any rips or weedlines in the area?

I've heard searing it called sashimi and tatake depends on region and ethnicity of cook I guess, either way its dang good dipped in some of Willie G's sauce from surfside.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe you are correct in calling it Tatake, but I was eatin' ahi sashimi years before I learned you could roll a block in spices and sear it, so for me, it's still sashimi:) Just finished eating, rolled it in a combo of Tony's and Essence, seared it quickly in olive oil, served over pasta in a cream, caper, fresh chopped tomato and onion, and a wasabe/soy suace to dip...hmmmm...

Brad, there weren't any weedlines near us. We were just coming into an area that had some weed and debris, but we didn't find a weedline for miles inshore. From where we were going deeper the water was as clean as I have ever seen it. I didn't have to pull weed off a lure all morning.

Tight lines,
Tropicalsun
Rob

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can see it too

You really gave me a visual the way you replayed that for us. I could see too. What sort of milage to you get at cruise speed? What is your cruise speed?

·
Dreamchaser
153 Posts
Great posts, I'm still chuckling about "...you must have been in something from NASA". Congrats on the 4 knockdowns.

Gotta love it!! Still waiting for the day a YFT comes on my boat, that will be hi fives all the way around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts