2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left out on Poss Limit, with Jason, 3 Johns, and 3rd Bar Slim (schultz) in search of bills, tuna, and snapper/aj's. We were about 100miles out on first snapper spot and sure enough we had our fill. From 7am to 9am it was doubles of snapper from 5-15lbs. Schultz one upped everyone on snapper and also on Amberjack (what a hoss of an AJ!!). We caught our snapper on everything from snapper slappers to cigar minnows in 200' water.

Left the snapper biting and trolled alot of different places looking for the blue suit man and its sailfish cousin. We boxed a few blackfin and also had a nice 30-40lb wahoo make it into the box caught on ballyhoo/islander. Trolled on more and further out to 120-130miles. About the same area Eric/Earl/CaptnC and crew got there sails we had one come up and snag our joe yee med plunger, it made 2 half jumps and threw the hook. About midday we stop on some hardbottom in 200+' for hopefully a grouper or big snapper. Schultzy gears his new Avet with deep drop with cut bonita for bait and dons his smitty spider harness. We all made fun of him till the AJ's started biting, they were all 30lbs+ and then it happened.....schultz yells I got one! And 30min later I see the biggest AJ I've ever seen in person come up to the surface. At least 90lbs! Weighed in a day later at 85lbs.

Well this fish made us all figure on what we were going to keep as far as tuna if we had some nice yf's later on. So we opted to shoot for 2 newer floaters to troll for bills closer to where we were than our plan A for the night. We trolled this one semi sub for almost 3 hours with nada except for rainbow runner and oddball blackfin there on troll. As if to make matters more embarrasing, as dusk settled we saw a commotion of bait activity on surface as lights shined down from the rig and a 200+lb blue clears the water completely as if to say...haha u didn't get me!!

Tried for tuna at night and only got one nice yft bite on chunk, unfortunately Jason's fish broke off and besides that we didn't get any other good runs at either floater. Trolled for bills from there down the curve to Little Sister with absolutely nothing coming up. Water was real nice and Blue from 80miles out and further. The threat on the logs from 2-10miles out from Freeport Jetties was severe when heading out on Friday at dusk, we cleared the logs about time it got dark. It was not as bad this afternoon but 4-5 bad ones still remained in the channel. In all we had 1 nice hooter, limit of AJ's from 20-90lbs, limit of snapper from 5-15lbs and a few blackfin mixed in. There were several pics taken of the fish and the AJ so hopefully mark and jason or rest will post!! Can't ask for a better weekend weather wise as it went dead calm on sat night and sunday.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Too bad ya'll didn't do what Posession Limit usually does on the YF and bills, but ya'll still had a darned fine box. A 90 lb AJ must feel like you've hooked a submarine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
AJ Pic

As always, thanks to Capt. Stout for having me aboard. I know that those who have experienced these trips appreciate the attention to detail that Capt. Stout gives the vessel itself, equipment, float plan, strategy, etc., and I am no exception. I learn and experience something new on each trip, and that only enhances the inherent fun of being 100+ miles out in flat calm seas.

I can't add much to what Brad said, other than the personal sensation of getting first glimpse of the big AJ. First, I think a stand up bucket harness is is a worthwhile investment. I knew I had a larger specimen at the other end, but the harness allowed me to use my legs and eliminated all stress off my back and arms. It was probably a 15-20 minute fight, but I never felt too terribly worn out. When the fish came up and all the expletives started flying, I knew it was out of the ordinary. When I leaned over and got a glimpse, I think I let a few expletives fly as well.

At any rate, I'm ready to pack up and do it all over again. The whale shark, the sail shake, and the free jumping blue were all icing on the cake. No yellowfin, but that just means there will be more for the next trip :)

Mark

Attachments

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,052 Posts
Holy [email protected]! That thing is HUGE. That hooter looks pretty nice as well...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice catch enjoyed the report as well as the pics. By the way what kind of boat is Poss. Limit and what kind of fuel do you burn on a trip like that?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
mark
congradulations on the nice aj!!!. i am still looking for one that is 40lbs bigger than the one you landed. sure wish i could catch her soon. this quest is getting real expensive...rick

·
omanj
558 Posts
Possession Limit

Now that is what I call a good sized Amberjack! I had one about that big at the Flower Gardens take a fist sized bite from a freshly barracuda-stubbed Kingfish. Unfortunately, he could not get down the other half of the King. Way to go!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts