2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleared the jetties at 7 pm Friday looking for billfish. Got to boomvang at 11 pm and no tuna bite. Ran 3 miles away to drift for the night. No wind nor current. We drifted less than 200 yards all night. Started pulling at 6 am with one small dolphin about 20 lbs and very little bait. Ran to Nancen about 8 am. Halfway there found two pods of pilot whales one of which had 5 sperm whales mixed in. Awesome sight and my first encounter with sperm whales. Current was stronger at Nancen and flat calm. Picked up some wahoo off the buoy on a high speed jet just off the transom. Also got 3 or 4 good dolphin to 35 lbs on a long bird/islander/ballyhoo. Mid day the tuna came up and started inhaling the islander combo. It was out there in case but main focus was billfish. No bills but ended up with a mess of tuna from 50-105 lbs. Quality fish for here. All tuna caught trolling, couldn't buy a bite in the chum line sat night, strange. Even stranger, was dropping a sabiki at the buoy for hardtails to live bait marlin when my line started screaming, less than 10 minutes later, gaffed a wahoo about 20 lbs, a first for me. No sooner than one of the guys mentioned it was a once in a lifetime, it quickly became twice in a lifetime as the next drop produced one even larger. Much longer fight only to be lost at the gaff by a rookie gaffer. Oh well, pretty cool. Saw an est. 200 lb yellowfin boated by the "Old Man and the C" early sunday on the troll, congratulations to them and thanks for the tie up sat night. Trolled the hilltops on the way in with no luck. Beautiful water, a little snotty late sat/sat night. Slick calm from the hilltops on in. Great weekend on the Blackfin, but no photos as we once again left the camera at the house.-Tom

·
Registered
674 Posts
Great Report, Tom. Thanks for sharing.

I think Parker or Schultz will be posting a PS report later today, with pics. No bills, but plenty of YF, and the biggest reef donkeys you have ever seen.

If you need a photographer, holler.

David

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
lol Kinja, I was going to post up about your new technique for wahoo but was waaaaay to tired to even logon this morning. Good report, need pics!!!!

I think Old Man and C said theirs was around 140-150 still an awesome yellowfin!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts