2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
omanj
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 77 year old mother and I met up with my friend Dwayne, his son keith and Keith's friend Craig to go out of Freeport this morning. Nice two to threee foot seas, occasionally a 4 foot roller made us go slower so we would not get beat up. Dwayne has a 26 ft. Wellcraft with twin i/os. First rig we managed two 12 lb. kings. I landed one on a curado 200 sf (what a hoot!) when we were bump-trolling past the Outhouse rig. We then took off to find a wreck and ran across a beautiful weedline with nothing around it while underway. We got to the wreck and two boats were already on it and nothing but undersized snaps were caught. We decided to go back to the weedline and this time we saw baitfish being attacked! I caught a 4lb. Dolphin and everyone else was scrambling to get touts rigged, except for my mom. She has a bum thumb and so I cast towrds some swirls and before I could get my rig out, she hooked up to a Bull Dolphin. I got some action photos and after she fought it for a while, her thumb bothered her so much, she handed the rod to me to finish him off. It was a good thing because he tried every trick in the book to get under the props. We drifted into the sargasso weed patch and I had about twenty pounds of it on top of the dolphin. I felt like I was pulling a bass out of the lilypads. I finally managed to whip him and Dwayne netted him and all hands celebrated! All in all, we caught two Kings, one 15.5 lb. Bull Dolphin, and 18 schoolie dolphin in the 2 to 4 lb. class. The weedline was about 25 miles out. What a great day for my mom to know she still has it offshore!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts