2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
If conditons are right you shouldn't have any problem. I have a 21' CC I run offshore 25-35 miles quite often with know problems.

Just be aware of the weather condtions around you and have a VHF on the boat.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
My first boat was a single engine 20 so yes it is. But watch the weather and get a radio and file a float plan with family. Be safe and with a single engine we would put new plugs fuel line fuel filter fuel pump thermostat water pump every year and baby that single. I ran often for 6 years never got stranded

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Snuffy, That boat will be fine at 20-25 mi but you need to ask yourself if you are strong enough to resist the power of the BLUE. After one season you will be wanting to go 30-35mi out then it will be 50-60mi and 80-115mi after that. The sea will soon rule your life and you will have fuel tanks installed in places you never dreamed of on a boat. 20-25 is just the first hit off the crack pipe so think about what you are getting in to before you take the leap off the edge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good call Wacker, I made a couple of trips in a 21' HydraSport with a 200 Honda, one was rough as heck and the other was a blue bird awsome, next thing I know is I purchase a 24' Cape Horn with twins and love it. To visit on the first part please listen to these folks as they have been there and done it, just follow all the safety issue's these folks talk about because it doesn't take long to change out there as I am new and learning quickly.

·
Registered
738 Posts
wacker said:
Snuffy, That boat will be fine at 20-25 mi but you need to ask yourself if you are strong enough to resist the power of the BLUE. After one season you will be wanting to go 30-35mi out then it will be 50-60mi and 80-115mi after that. The sea will soon rule your life and you will have fuel tanks installed in places you never dreamed of on a boat. 20-25 is just the first hit off the crack pipe so think about what you are getting in to before you take the leap off the edge.
This has to be one of the most profound statements I have ever read on this site!

Having smoled that pipe for the last two years, I agree buy the biggest boat you can!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Risk assessment

A smaller boat can be used on a short-range trip in ideal conditions. However, an engine break-down or an unexpected storm can provide you with a reality check. A couple of years ago I saw a guy out 40 miles in a bass boat - probably did not have a radio and certainly his trolling motor could not be used as a backup.

After my first three years going offshore, I developed the fever for going farther out and luckily, found a partner to purchase a larger boat with me. We now have a 28-footer with twin engines. On some days, I wish the boat was even larger. We now routinely go out 50 miles or more if the waves don't exceed three feet.

Mike

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i have a 1979 20' glastron center console with a 96 merc and i have made probably 30 trips offshore in it usually averaging about 30-40 miles and a few times we ended up in 4-6's and never had a problem. i have 2 vhf's,gps and a compass. If you pick your days and have a solid rig you should have no problems, but these guys are right, i have gotten the bluewater bug and will be moving up into a 23-25 ft'er next march or april.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A few years ago, I had a 28' and was out about 25 miles, trolling between 2 rigs when 2 boats about 16 - 18' long came up. One of the guys hollered at me, wanting to know which way it was to the jetties at Port A. I ask him how he got this far out without knowing which way was home. Usual story... followed this boat, followed that boat, run to several rigs and suddenly realized that he didn't know which way was home. He also wanted to know if I had any extra fuel. Anyway, I took a bearing, pointed to a distant boat and told him to take a compass reading on the boat and to follow the compass, not the boat. I told him that if he ran out of gas, to drop an anchor and that I would be coming along in about an hour and would tow him in if I saw him drifting.
I guess we all do dumb things occasionally, but this one could have cost 4 people their lives.
A compass, GPS or a depth finder will all show you the way home, or at least to the beach. Buy them and learn how to use them before going out of sight of land or into a fog or storm.
jra

·
Cereal Killer
4,153 Posts
Wacker is right that boat will be fine for such excursions, I do it in a boat just a bit smaller, but the bug will get you, and you will figure out what an evil drug blue water is.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
TowBoat ??????

I did all the right things with a single engine boat PLUS I spend the money for TowBoat insurance...

Cheap way to get your lost arse in up to 50 miles out..... well worth the money....

SG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts