2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather cooperated Sat. for offshore run so Bone, myself (RustyHook) & Mike headed out to Claypile Area for AJ and snapper. Invited FishNut but he turned us down thinking weather would'nt be nice. Imagine who I see at the bait camp that morning.....FishNut & Dave headed to east bay. We stopped at rig 9 miles out for bait. Caught a dozen 6" to 10" triggerfish with sabiki rig and bay rod with shrimp. Question::::: how are you guys catching other pinfish at nearshore rigs for live bait. Anyway's, smooth 1 to 2 foot seas. Hit Claypile area and first stop produced lots of snapper but only up to 15". No keepers. Bone landed one keeper AJ after a good battle on snapper tackle. Moved to second spot and l hooked up to Mr. AJ right off. 2 AJ's in the box. Next I rig up 6" trigger and send it down on 50T international, told mike to get "ready". Pa-Pow, hooked up sending bait down then hand rod to mike (a newbie to offshore) and he expertly fought his first AJ. 3 AJ's our limit, no monsters, all 45" to 50", but a limit of AJ's on the 27' Grady White "Rig Donkey".. We fished a few more livies to catch & release AJ's for fun and a work out. Bone hooked into one big boy AJ and that fish "abused" him on the 50T outfit!! I was laughing MAO. 5 min. later and it broke off. What a brute. We moved and hit a 1/2 dozen rigs for snapper but "no keepers". Don't know. 3 o'clock threw out spread and trolled by rig's/shrimp boats and no knock downs either. 5 o'clock buckled everything down, opened a cold brew and cruised 35 knots in 1 foot seas to port. Very surprised to only see maybe 5 other fishing boats offshore all day with seas calm and on a Sat. Thanks Lee for another offshore adventure, sorry Kim was feeling bad and elected not to go. Bone and Kim are doing the turn around today (Monday) and fishing V.A.Fogg so ya'll look for that report tomorrow.

RustyHook

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you go out of Freeport? I show a boat called Rig Donkey on Sat and started laughing at the name, did not even notice what kind of boat it was. Great Name!

Andy

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"R E A L L Y"

Naw, we put in on TX City Dike. My brothers boat is a 2004 27' Grady White CC. For some reason before delivery (he's had it about a month) he & WIFE Kim "HAD" to pick a name and register it with the coast guard. Something about a fishing vessel over $100K, don't know and he don't know either but yea, Rig Donkey, pretty cool.

RustyHook

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice Boat

Glad to see you all had a good time. My wife and I were leaving on Friday to head to La and we seen the Rig Donkey on 146/646 at the Shell gas station. I figured getting it ready for Saturday. Nice boat!!! I have a GW 247 with twin Y115 and I love the boat. Would love to have a 27ft but will have to do for now.

I did go out on Firday but not very far due to the constant rain. But we did manage 5 kings, 1 spanish and three nice Mahi Mahi around 25 miles SSE.

E.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep

Yep, that was my brother (Bone) & wife Kim gas'in up. I arrived later that evening to get ready for Sat. GW 247.....uh?.....S W E E T. Dang they are quality boat's. Tight Lines

RustyHook

·
Registered
678 Posts
mondays trip

we ran all over the gulf, and brought home zero. didnt see anybody catching anything either. the boat ran like a champ, and me and the wife got along great most of the day. ha ha. seas were great. the highlight was a turtle that kim took a pic of. i think it made her day. cool. we'll get them next time.

bone and kim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts