2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I ran offshore with a friend out of POC yesterday and found some good fish out there. We started off on a wreck and set out drift lines and had baits on the bottom. We ended up catching our 6 red snapper limit and 4 bonus snapper (3 mangrove, 1 lane). We picked up a couple kingfish, a shark and a bunch of fantailed snapper as well. Amazingly we did not even see a single tiger snapper, lol.

On the way back we found an anchored shrimp boat and there was a lot of life under it. My dad and I each bowed up on a couple of big fish from underneath it and were both rewarded with 30+ minute battles with a yellowfin tuna. We both won though! Those were some real bruisers to fight in 95' of water on Ambassador 7000 class reels. We also picked up a few kings there as well.

Further in we found a weedline that was LOADED with kings and it was pretty wild watching them jump 5' to 8' out of the water chasing bait! We picked up a few more kings trolling and drifting and got a nice dorado as well before heading in.

The water was BEAUTIFUL out there.

I've attached a few pics....

1. Mangrove Snapper
2. Fan Tailed Snapper
3. Red Snapper
4. Me bowed up
5. My Yellowfin Tuna
6. My dad bowed up
7. My dad's Yellowfin
8. Nice Dorado
9. Box Shot 1
10. Box Shot 2

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, we call those YFT - Jack Crevalle, not YFT. I think you'll be surprised when you decide to eat it. The other fan tailed snapper, we call a Trigger Fish. However, nice Dorado.

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
Sounds like a really great day on the pond with your dad Brian!

Oh, and nice ummmmmmmmmmmm fantail snap and uhhhhhhhhhh YFT there too!:wink:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Muddskipper said:
That would be some dissapointing YFT Sushi......
Ugh!! :( I just had YFT sushi for lunch and the thought that it could be jack just made my stomach turn.

Oh yeah...Nice trip Brian.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
that YFT looks like the one in the paper a while back they caught off the Seawolf pier in Galveston ;) Nice batch of fish, Brian.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
Great report Brian, I'm glad you released them YFT's!!! LOL

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yfj

Hey those YFJ fight better than YFT anyway, real bulldogs. But those fan tail snapper are almost better than the other snappers. Meat on them is excellent, even if they are a little hard to clean. Sushi from fantail snapper trigs is primo. Not like sushi from YFJ's. Joe

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congrats buddy on burning some fuel on a week day..

Many (including myself) would love to get out of the water during the week regardless of the catch / classification of the catch.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, it was a LOT of fun out there! We got some great table fare, got some good pulls from some kings, and those jacks were some real bruisers. I can't remember the last time I had that much of a task getting one in.

By the way, I was just joking about the fan tailed snapper and yellowfin tuna. I was just trying to be as creative as the party boats with their tiger snapper :)

Don'y worry, I know what a yellowfin tuna is :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts