2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we're on a small low fence place, would it be worth putting out a protein feeder or 2 or just keep the corn going? Haven't really fed year round before but gonna try this year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
we use cottonseed. It is cheaper than protein when you buy it in bulk (by the ton). The deer hit it hard and it is super high in protein.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cotton Seed???

Here are some questions I have about the cotten seed....

Where do you buy it by the ton at?
How much do you pay per ton?
How long will it last before you have to use it up?
Will it go into a spin feeder or do you have to put it in a gravity feeder?

·
Registered
118 Posts
We buy it straight from a cotton farm. We have another ranch that we split the total crop with. We pay $200/ ton. It depends on how wet of a summer we have on the duration it lasts. Last year is was all gone by mid-September. Year before it lasted til December. It will not go in a spin type feeder. It still has a small amount of cotton still on the seed so it would get clogged up. We use it in covered troughs. Our partnering ranch puts it in feeder type pens made with chicken wire and t-posts and leaves it exposed to the elements. Doesn't seem to bother their consumption of it. We prefer to keep it covered. By the way, a ton of cottonseed is a larger amount than you think....it is a very light seed.

·
Highball !!!!
2,616 Posts
something that has worked just as good the last 2/3 years is lots of fresh water..............last summer it was better than corn due to the drought...rio

·
TxDuSlayer
4,770 Posts
I would only feed year round if you have up feed pens! I did this last year and it turned out to be a big mistake. The hogs literaly took over every feeder, I mean was tore up huge holes rooted underneath them and just destroyed everything. They stayed on our property you could smell where they had been!!! they really ruined the whole ranch! I will feed thru mid feb and then shut it down and not start up until end of august. I don't know much about the cottonseed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We buy it straight from a cotton farm. We have another ranch that we split the total crop with. We pay $200/ ton. It depends on how wet of a summer we have on the duration it lasts. Last year is was all gone by mid-September. Year before it lasted til December. It will not go in a spin type feeder. It still has a small amount of cotton still on the seed so it would get clogged up. We use it in covered troughs. Our partnering ranch puts it in feeder type pens made with chicken wire and t-posts and leaves it exposed to the elements. Doesn't seem to bother their consumption of it. We prefer to keep it covered. By the way, a ton of cottonseed is a larger amount than you think....it is a very light seed.
So do you buy it and stock pile it. I called my Farmers Co-op, where I buy corn and they will not have any until June. I assume that you get the seed from the cotton crop so when they run out, you have to wait untill the next years crop. If I were to buy a few tons of it how do I need to store it, covered in a barn, in sealed drums, exposed to the weather etc... If I buy just enough in June to get me to August/Sept. then I will need to buy me enough to last untill the next June. Will it last that long. Maybe I am missing something here. Any help and clarification is much appreciated.

Fishstix

·
Registered
118 Posts
So do you buy it and stock pile it. I called my Farmers Co-op, where I buy corn and they will not have any until June. I assume that you get the seed from the cotton crop so when they run out, you have to wait untill the next years crop. If I were to buy a few tons of it how do I need to store it, covered in a barn, in sealed drums, exposed to the weather etc... If I buy just enough in June to get me to August/Sept. then I will need to buy me enough to last untill the next June. Will it last that long. Maybe I am missing something here. Any help and clarification is much appreciated.

Fishstix
We are expecting our shipment at the end of this month. Yes it is straight from the crop. I don't know the whole process on the seed side. I know we get ours when the farm calls and says they have the seed ready and when do we want it? It is usually right after the beginning of the year when they call. We keep ours in an old airplane hanger and distribute it year round til it is gone, and that is sometimes a year later. Our partnering ranch leaves it exposed to the weather year round. We just feel better having it covered. It doesn't have to stay completely dry like corn does. I hope this helps. Anymore questions let me know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We are expecting our shipment at the end of this month. Yes it is straight from the crop. I don't know the whole process on the seed side. I know we get ours when the farm calls and says they have the seed ready and when do we want it? It is usually right after the beginning of the year when they call. We keep ours in an old airplane hanger and distribute it year round til it is gone, and that is sometimes a year later. Our partnering ranch leaves it exposed to the weather year round. We just feel better having it covered. It doesn't have to stay completely dry like corn does. I hope this helps. Anymore questions let me know.
Thanks for all the help. This is all good info. and we are planning on trying this out. Now all I have to do is find some.

Fishstix

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
We feed corn year round. Trick is only do a morning feeding and only a small, small amount. Most of the time (but not all the time) deer will eat it in the morning, leaving none for the hogs in the evening. The small amount also prevents cattle from lingering under the feeder too long.

I can't begin to explain the benefits of this type of year round feeding. One of the guys on my lease has been doing this for 10 years, and there are deer under his feeder all the time. Rain or shine, hot or cold, drought or no drought. It seems they get so used to the consistent feeding they always come. I think it could also be a generational thing in that they are brought as fawns and continue to go as adults.

Buy a good quality feeder, with the best spinner you can buy. Get a good varmint guard and stake the feeder in with long pieces of t-post. The pay off is well worth the effort. After the initial set-up the rest will run like clock work requiring only a late summer refill of the feeder.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
We have two feeders at each stand, Last weekend of the season we change our timers. One feeder goes off for 2 seconds in the morning the other goes off for 2 seconds in the evening. We will mix about 1/3 protein pellets or Soy Beans in our feeders with corn in Feb. feed year round.
We have been doing this the last 5 years, We have pretty much tagged out the last three years, plus our kids are getting good shots at deer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts