2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Reelrednecks Fishing Team
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:doowapstaSounds like **** I know, but make one and be amazed. You will thank me later. If you like Pecan Pies you will love this. This is my favorite pie. Give it a try and let me know what you think...

Oatmeal Pie

1 cup Karo, light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 stick butter (or margarine)
3/4 cup Dry (quick) Oatmeal
1/2 can coconut
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pinch salt
2 Tbl. Sweet Milk
1 unbaked pie crust 9"

Cream the sugar and the butter together. Add the slightly beaten eggs, Karo, and the salt and mix well. Then add oatmeal, coconut, vanilla, and milk. Stir until blended. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until golden brown.

·
Registered
25 Posts
:doowapstaSounds like **** I know, but make one and be amazed. You will thank me later. If you like Pecan Pies you will love this. This is my favorite pie. Give it a try and let me know what you think...

Oatmeal Pie

1 cup Karo, light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 stick butter (or margarine)
3/4 cup Dry (quick) Oatmeal
1/2 can coconut
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pinch salt
2 Tbl. Sweet Milk
1 unbaked pie crust 9"

Cream the sugar and the butter together. Add the slightly beaten eggs, Karo, and the salt and mix well. Then add oatmeal, coconut, vanilla, and milk. Stir until blended. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour until golden brown.
Sounds good to me. Have a couple of questions though.
1. Use salted or unsalted butter?
2. Sweet Milk. Is that the condensed stuff?

Thanks

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
the recipe calls for salt, so you should use unsalted butter. (general rule of thumb for baking)

sweet milk is whole milk

curious about the "1/2 can of coconut"

is that canned coconut flakes, cream of coconut, coconut cream, or just coconut milk?

·
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Regular milk, and flaked coconut. ( the half can equals about 3/4 cup).. Let me know what you think of it after you try it. It's different but I sure like it.

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
Made one today, it was outstanding! Comes out with a consistency sort of like pecan pie. Very sweet so we'll try it with 3/4 cup sugar for T-day. Gonna add some raisins to the next one too.

Reactions: texasGG

·
Team Marsh Member
371 Posts
Made this last night using 3/4 cup of sugar and sprinkled a few chopped pecans on top. The recipe made 2 pies in standard shells.........excellent.

·
Saved by Jesus Blessed by God
2,767 Posts
Made one tonite its already gone
Great pie Texas GG thanks for the recipe
lots of possibilities here

·
RAIDER POWER!!!
5,697 Posts
Made one over Thanksgiving. I thought it was great, but the family did not like it so much. I added raisins, and did not realize that so many disliked them. Also added a bit of chopped pecans on top.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My 7 yr old son and myself made 2. Added 1/4 cup molasses to one. Great recipe and the variations are limited to the imagination

·
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you like Pecan Pies you will like this one too!

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
Going to try this with some dried cranberries and blueberries added. I'll re-constitute them first in warm water.....make that warm cognac.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
HIT At MY HOUSE

Had our doubt's! But we were wrong! THEM ARE DANG GOOD PIE'S.We cut the sugar to 3/4 cup (figure you know).It made 2 we sprinkled 1 with some pecans and left the other alone.BOTH WERE OUTSTANDING...CVA34:doowapsta

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Slightly modified

Thanks for the recipe.
Used:
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c karo
4 T evap milk
1 c quick oats (no coconut)
Everything else the same.