2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for recommendations for an Oahu Fishing Charter in September.

I have been recommended a few charters on different forums, but I am having a hard time finding any good recent reviews on anything... just don’t want a charter that puts no effort into it. Some of the reviews I’m seeing are almost 10 years old, so I’m not sure what to trust.

Would be a full day charter, going after anything big (Tuna, Mahi, Marlin, etc.).

Also, would like to hear what coast people think is best (north shore, west coast, south). Is the north shore really that rough?

PS - I’m aware of the policy where the boat
keeps most of the fish…

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'll check wife has family out there and are in the know with charters. And yes North side is that rough.

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,454 Posts
Fishing in Hawaii sucks. Bad. Save your money. Unless it is out of Kona expect a cool boat ride. Which is fine. But not a fishing excursion.....it will be a boat ride.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Fishing in Hawaii sucks. Bad. Save your money. Unless it is out of Kona expect a cool boat ride. Which is fine. But not a fishing excursion.....it will be a boat ride.
I've always wondered if fishing in Hawaii would be worth a ****. Why do you think it sucks? Islands just in the middle of vast ocean with limited structure?

·
Registered
Grem's Guide Service
11,454 Posts
Its a pimple 2000 miles from anything else. Nothing there to hold fish...at all. Fish just kind of passing thru by accident but they don't stay so it is the definition of hit or miss and mostly miss. The hits are one or two bites....

Don't misunderstand....Kona is purdy good....by Hawaii standards.....but for the most part it is an expensive boat ride and a cool look at the beauty of that place from a different perspective by sea.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,153 Posts
I've always wondered if fishing in Hawaii would be worth a ****. Why do you think it sucks? Islands just in the middle of vast ocean with limited structure?

It actually has more to do with the Whale Foundation, they pull ton's of floating debris out of the waters around Hawaii. This floating debris is where the bait fish would gather. No bait fish. No Game fish.

Kona has a different geological ring around it as compared to the other islands, it is more of a shelf with huge up swells that brings up bait fish.

·
One more cast....
11,545 Posts
Fished out of Maui last year. Trolled for hours. NADA. Bottom dropped over reef later and caught trigger fish.

·
Who said that was spicy?
1,772 Posts
Fished out of Maui last year. Trolled for hours. NADA. Bottom dropped over reef later and caught trigger fish.
4 years ago, I too fished Maui for hours with NADA. Private charter trip. Wasted a full day in paradise and spent a fistful cash for a regrettable experience. We visited several FADs and trolled the entire time. Spent 9+ hours on the boat. Never again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking for recommendations for an Oahu Fishing Charter in September.

I have been recommended a few charters on different forums, but I am having a hard time finding any good recent reviews on anything... just don’t want a charter that puts no effort into it. Some of the reviews I’m seeing are almost 10 years old, so I’m not sure what to trust.

Would be a full day charter, going after anything big (Tuna, Mahi, Marlin, etc.).

Also, would like to hear what coast people think is best (north shore, west coast, south). Is the north shore really that rough?

PS - I’m aware of the policy where the boat
keeps most of the fish…

Oahu fishing is good! Maybe not cheap if your not splitting the trip with a few friends or jumping on a boat with an open spot and yes, it is hit or miss just like fishing anywhere else. North Shore is rough during the winter months and flat during the summer months. The South Shore is flat during the winter months and rough during the summer months. But nothing like the rough winter months of the North Shore. 20-30+ feet surf waves. It's never like this on the south shore.

I've been on the Strikeology, a Hatteras 53. Back in 2016. (Fishing Charter | Strikeology | Deep Sea Fishing | Honolulu | Oahu | Hawaii) IG @ gobowl.strikeology

Also check out capt. Chris Rubin on the Ruckus! (“Ruckus” is a 38’ Bertram) this guy is always catching fish!!! Deep Sea Fishing Hawaii | Five Star Sport Fishing % Check out his IG @ rudy_doubles_808

Both of these boats are out of the south shore of Oahu.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Buddy has charted a boat out of Kona for the last 4 years. He finally caught about a 24" Tuna this year. Usually about a week or so after he gets back the captain sends him picks of good fish. So the above sounds about right, it's hit and miss.

·
Who said that was spicy?
1,772 Posts
In my opinion, yes, this is why it sucks. Like SGrem said, it is a pimple of a landmark in a vast ocean. There is very little about that landmark that makes it a gathering place or destination for pelagic species.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts