2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been using an 02 system for the last two years... It works Great for bait and for keeping fish alive..

Ive been trying to get away from the use of medical o2 bottles and have come across several suppliers to get exactly what i want and need in a system.. Ive had quite a few people ask me about 02 systems.. How to design them, what parts to use, prices etc etc..

Ive been kicking around putting together a system to sell... 2 cool is an invaluable resource for the texas fishing industry so i figured i would pose a question to everyone...

First off...
1)How many of you use o2 systems
2)How many of you would use them if you could
3)How much do you spend a year on bait
4)What is your dead loss average per season ($ wise)
5)If a system was right, how much would it be worth to You.

I appreciate any and all responses..

The system I am looking at putting together would be using higher end o2 regulators with min flows of .12 lpm or .03(higher cost)... Ive come across several types of regulators... Most being alloy bodies with all brass internals.. I have found several all brass regulators, but being concerned with the price of those i have opted to make them available at a higher system price if i end up selling these systems..

The bottles would be size M6, C and D oxygen service cylinders.. Painted offwhite. the regulators with cga540 valve configuration would be the only ones used.... These would be able to be filled at any welding store or at home using a transfill adaptor.. These are industrial grade oxygen cylinders specified for our uses... Not medical use..

Im testing a variety of 02 service diffusers.. So far, the only ones that I recommend are the point four micron diffusers.. Others work fine, but the effiency is not where it needs to be.

Looking at all the above mentioned parts.. It seems I would be able to sell them for about $200 to $300 depending on diffuser and quality of the regulator...Prices may be less, without the point four diffusers... unfortunately point four does not offer quantity discounts.....

You can put together a system using medical oxygen regulators and cylinders for alot less. However due to legality and tank filling issues this is not the best thing to market as a product... So any input would be greatly appreciated

Im judging interest here... So give me a heads up on what the 2cool world thinks...

Any ideals would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks

Thomas

Ps.. Thanks to Jeff for getting me in the right direction

·
Banned
96 Posts
Well I have a kayak, and will soon be upgrading to a skiff(hopefully).
I use a 5 gallon bucket, with those little $20 aerators things on the side.
Keeps 60 shrimp alive an kicking all day.
Thats just with me though. Usually my dead loss it 5-6.
I spend I think like $10-15 on bait per trip.

Hope someone else will respond. :)

Kevin

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm interested. I havent bought one yet, Coastal Welding makes them up in Beaumont. Small tank, regulator, hose and stone. About $160 I think. Is that high? Of course, the lower coast is about 10 years ahead of us here! LOL

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
KJON said:
Just read the whole listing, guess $160 isnt high after all!!!!
It is when you consider the Diffuser you will get from the welding supply store cost maybe 3.00....A point 4 diffuser cost is almost 85.00...and there is no comparison to the 3.00 and the Point 4....and the regulator is a CGA 870 yoke style...seldom as sturdy as the CGA 540 Regulator's...

160.00 + a real diffuser 85.00 = 245.00...right on the $$$$ Bottle size will increase this price too..

Thomas is not making more than 20.00/system...if you want a cheaper one...order the stuff yourself...Convenience has a price....

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Wow, didnt mean to @#@$ anyone off, just making a statement, I've never even seen one of these things. One thing I will say is, I normally buy from individuals before commercial, no matter what the price.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your not ruffling feathers lol.... The systems youc an get other places might be a tad cheaper... But it all depends on how they make it... Im trying to do systems that are legal first off, and that use 540 valves so you can fill them yourself or get them filled at a welding shop... Medical grade o2 systems to be filled you have to have someone that has a filler adaptor or have a prescription..

Its all on how they are made up......

Thomas

·
Income Magician
499 Posts
Well Gentlemen, here is my setup

I have a $30.00 cooler from acadamy. I took my o2 bottle and regulator from my oxy/acetylene rig and mounted it on the top of the cooler. Drilled a hole through the lid and pulled the hose through. Bought an aquarium bubble stone from Petsmart($14.00) and attached it to the hose and used liquid nails Poly glue to secure it to the bottom of the cooler. Let it dry for a day and filled with soapy water and washed thoroughly. Rinsed with vinegar and clean water and has been working ever since. I swap out my o2 bottles at the air conditioning supply house for $15.00 when I am empty. I have been using croakers lately. This past Sunday I ran the o2 for about 30minutes once I bought 2 dozen croakers. I ran out of o2(started on a low bottle) after 30 minutes. The croaker stayed alive for the next six hours without changing out any water. After 3 hours I started losing 1 to 2 croaker an hour out of what was left from fishing.

I couldn't speculate how much the setup is total since I have had the o2 bottle and regulator for five years. I do swear by it and wouldn't trade it for a battery bubbler any day!!!

I will post a picture of my setup. Give me a minute to locate and upload.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im trying to get input, so i can make a decision to either do the systems or scrap the ideal and just put together some here and there for friends and fishin buddies.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dumbstick.... Thats the kind of info i need.. Its much appreciated...

The design of my system is going to be using .03 lpm min... at that rate, a M6 bottle which is the smallest you can get (2#'s) will be good for 4 to 5 8hr fishign trips with continuous flow...

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im testing various diffusers rated for oxygen service right now... The point four is by far the best... Although i found one, thats about half the cost that does look promising.....

Thomas

·
fish control my brain
7,735 Posts
Thomas,

I'v been messing around with the home mande O2 systems for a couple of years.

I was given a few bottles of Medical O2 and got a regulator from a friend at a hospital.

Did the cheapo Diffusier.

I found that the regulators dont last long in Saltwater.

At least the ones I was using.....and the Regs were also the most expensive part in the system.

I found some Regulators on Ebay for $30, the cheapeist anywhere.
My bottles cost next to nothing to switch out at a welding supply store.
and tubing and the stone can be purchased at the pet store.

The two biggest areas of issues I had at the beggining was, how much Oxygen and how to keep my bottle from running put so quick.

Solution was picking the right Regulator

At the lowest setting!...mine goes to .04lpm

I was told since I was dealing with PURE O2, I only needed a tiny stream of bubbles.

So I can gennerally, get about 35 - 50 hours of air out of a single bottle.

I still use something to circulate the water to keep the temp down and also to circulte the O2.
The Burgess Airarator has worked well in conjunction with the O2

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
KJON said:
Wow, didnt mean to @#@$ anyone off, just making a statement, I've never even seen one of these things. One thing I will say is, I normally buy from individuals before commercial, no matter what the price.
Hey ..didn't mean to sound Harsh..I truly meant to order the stuff yourself...you can go on EBAY and do it...

Thomas is making a great system for a very good price. He has done all the Homework, and has field tested the gear for over a year....

It is comparable to the system they charge 150.00 or more for...

It will pay for itself ...

JB

·
The Duck of Death
2,246 Posts
Thomas. you should be able to sell them .but dont expect to set the world on fire.

Insuarance and more insuarance and thank about LLC deal.

Might set up for bottle exchange type deal for refill. Not everyone has access like you do.
I built one 10 years ago (when I used bait) had a hezz of a time doing the refill deal
even with a Acetylene rig.

Might also market Redfish tourney guys. Sell a whole bait tank system. that they can take in and out of tourney boat.

Be the go to guy with parts and accecerys

Dave-o

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
Dave...

A transfill whip eleminates the need for going to the Welding Supply place when you run out...cut's the cost down to about 2 cents per fill...

Rent a Big Bottle...build one of these....convert your O2 bottle to a CGA 540 Valve...filll'er up to 2200 psi....and let em breath the good stuff..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts