2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear some of the stories about your Infrared bird....I cooked seven birds and they all came out wondeful...started about 7 am and finished by noon........I am not asking cause of cooking time I would like to know if an infrared bird comes out as good as a fryed bird....I can see where the expense of the peanut oil will come to play as I have over $100 in oil that last about two yrs......thats $50 a yr and the infrared is about 2.5 yrs worth....so lets hear it from the infared cookers out there

on a side note......how does it cook......The ones I looked at were supposed to be hooked up to a propane bottle and I assume they heat up an element which by fan then cooks the bird......you guys tell me

TS

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Did two at the lease everyone there said it was the best turkey ever, even my teen age girls who won't eat any thing unless it comes in a pizza box or from a drive thru
window. They do have a burner in the bottom between the walls as it were no fan
they are open at the top so air flow doesn't come in play. And u don't have to stand
over it worrying about the oil getting too hot or cold and keeping everyone away so
it doesn't get knocked over and burn the place down. Only way I'll be doing mine from now on.

·
aka: KSims1868
3,848 Posts
I'm VERY curious as well about this infrared cooked turkey.
I fried 3 birds this year and all went great. I enjoy frying them, but if a less messy, less dangerous method will produce EXACTLY that same quality results...I'm definitely open-minded and interested.

rlw - did you inject the turkey just like when frying them, or what? Use a dry rub?

·
DOINK
10,030 Posts
no fry or infrared but...

Got a fresh 20lber... sat in a brine of water, salt, suger, juniper berries, orange peel, cinnamon, clove, peppercorns, and herbs for 24+ hours( i few more).

I start the roasting breast down for half the time then flip it for the remander... came out to perfection. juicy (my fav) and tender.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've said it before and I will say it again:

If it's not cooking in a vat of fat, its not fried. No such thing as oil-less frying.

That being said, I fried my bird with cottonseed oil this year and it was my best yet. Don't know if it was the oil or just a fluke.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Big Easy (infrared) worked well

I cooked some chickens and a duck gearing up for Thanksgiving and they turned out okay...Chicken's were nicely done, the duck didn't fare as well, but was easily fixed with a quick visit to the convection oven. With the duck I learned that it cooks better if the meat is placed up right and not horizonal.

Then on Thanksgiving! with it all seasoned in, cook a thirteen pound brined turkey and it was GREAT. The whole family enjoy it. Some said better that fried!

I will be using mine again...and again...and...we'll see...

CB

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
In my post I made it sound like it was a convection oven when in fact to be a true infrared oven it would cook more like a microwave......IR heat is invisible waves of energy that when the wave lengths are similiar to the absorbsion characteristics of the object they are trying to heat will infact heat or cook the object....It does not heat the air around it like a convection oven does....so how does this work with a propane bottle......
And how safe is it actually??????
This is straight out of Wikipedia....................
Strong infrared radiation in certain industry high heat settings may constitute a health hazard to the eyes and the vision. More so, since the radiation is invisible. Therefore special IR proof protective eyeglasses must be worn in such places.[25].....

So is it that much safer than frying???

·
1,674 Posts
Cooked a turkey in the big easy and fried one the conventional way on turkey day. Gotta tell you the big easy was a hit and actually tasted better than the other. Big easy all the way. Also, did cook 7 ducks in the fryer after the turkey and they turned out excellent. Did not try a duck in the big easy though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
In my post I made it sound like it was a convection oven when in fact to be a true infrared oven it would cook more like a microwave......IR heat is invisible waves of energy that when the wave lengths are similiar to the absorbsion characteristics of the object they are trying to heat will infact heat or cook the object.....so how does this work with a propane bottle......
And how safe is it actually??????
This is straight out of Wikipedia....................
Strong infrared radiation in certain industry high heat settings may constitute a health hazard to the eyes and the vision. More so, since the radiation is invisible. Therefore special IR proof protective eyeglasses must be worn in such places.[25].....

So is it that much safer than frying???
I think that the Big Easy really cooks with radiant heat, but they use "infrared" for as a marketing tool. Not the same thing... The true infrared that Wikipedia speaks of is very different.

Correct me if I'm wrong...tough 2cool crew!?

CB

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I'm VERY curious as well about this infrared cooked turkey.
I fried 3 birds this year and all went great. I enjoy frying them, but if a less messy, less dangerous method will produce EXACTLY that same quality results...I'm definitely open-minded and interested.

rlw - did you inject the turkey just like when frying them, or what? Use a dry rub?
Yes I injected with tony's cajun butter and put the rub on inside and out, best thing about the rub it stays on the bird where it just ends up in the oil when I fried 'em. And I actually took little walk up the hill with my rifle
while it cooked, Mom and the girls were playing Uno and watched it for me. Not a worry about anyone getting hurt or splattered on and no oil on the ground after.

·
Practice safe fishing; use a Corky
1,697 Posts
Been frying turkeys for the whole neighborhood for years. Heard about the Big Easy here on 2Cool and bought one at BassPro.

Injected it, put TC on the outside and it was the best I ever cooked. No oil to buy or clean up. Just wash it and put it up.

No more oil for me.

·
Is it really Monday again?
1,120 Posts
Tomorrow morning we will be frying 26 turkeys and 10 large chickens for the local senior citizens here in Wadsworth. We have been doing so for about 12 years now. We have always used peanut oil and we are done frying turkeys we divvy the used oil up and use it through out the year to fry fish etc. No complaints with the peanut oil.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Big Easy

After reading some posts, I got me one of those Big Easy cookers and I gotta say it was great. It really cooks by radiant heat with propane.
We took a 16lb bird, coated it with a little peanut oil and seasoning.
Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside. About 7 or 8 minutes per pound until it reached temp. The drip pan works well for gravy drippings. It was simple and I think I am gonna do a bird this weekend or try a prime rib.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Did my first in the Big Easy this past Thanksgiving. All thought it was as good or better then when we fry them. Clean up was a whole lot easier, no worry about spills, or anyone getting burned. I did a 12 lb. that should have taken 2 hours but was ready in 1 and a half. Beautiful brown just like frying. No more $50 for oil for me.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Did the Big Easy also. Turkey was great and like said earlier, got plenty of drippings for the gravy. Did a whole chicken a few days ago and it was even better. Loved it. Crispy skin and juicy inside. Put a rub on it day prior and marinated and that helps make it even better. Took an hour for my chicken and few hours for a turkey to cook. If needing several, it may not be best but for a single, it is best I have had. I love mine.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
With all the hoopla about the Big Easy, I went and bought one at Lowe's the week before Thanksgiving. Bought a 16# turkey marinated it for 24 hours, then put it on at noon, (supposed to eat at 4). Well, by 3pm the thermometer in the breast had moved about 1/4". Thought it might be the thermometer, so I checked it with warm water, and it worked fine. The skin on the turkey was turning a slight brown, so I worried over it another 20 minutes and then finally rushed to H.E.B. and bought some oven roasted turkey breasts, (This was Great Grandma's TG so 30 people were waiting on me). I know I should have tested the blasted thing first, but kind of expected it to perform as advertised.
Last week, I did a 12# chicken in it, and it took 2:40 for the breast to get done but the rear was still bloody.
Needless to say, my Big Easy is going back, and I won't be getting another. Biggest piece of junk ever.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts