2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The crappie run just gets better and better up the creeks on Livingston. This has been one of the most enjoyable weeks of fishing I can remember.

Today, the water had cleared sufficiently to do some fly rod jigging for those slabs...what a blast that is. With their paper thin mouths and 2 pound line on a fly rod, they are just wonderful fish.

Took some shots of the creek today and attached one in the first picture. The Marina wanted to do some marketing so hung the fish on the board for them...thats picture 2. Took awhile to clean them thats picture 3. I use a baseball umpires counter to keep track of fish in the box (home) and fish released (road). Works for me. Today's tally 25 home and 16 road

Handing off to the weekenders....but will be back out there next week, when the weather allows.

Attachments

·
Banned
764 Posts
where what and how

where on livingston? what creek? minnow or jig?
Nice fish,can you share some info on where I can go get in on this .Will have some time off next week and would love to hook some thin lips

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Great pics MLK. The creek does look a lot better than 10 days ago.
Did you notce that the outflow at the dam is reducing almost daily? They are able to match the river input now gallon for gallon. When it get down to about 10,000 cfs. (one week?) the chute below the dam will have water backed into the willows. It is out of the main flow and I am sure SS will attest that it will be full of saddle blankets and those pullet size catfish.

·
GRAY GHOST HUNTER
863 Posts
Excellent Report!

Green to U Meadow,thanks for the upper end report! Great pics. the water clarity looks good,them fresh water flounder are outstanding table fate! Congrats!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah those flooded willows are looking good to me Sunbeam, may go try them tomorrow, or as soon as the weather will let me.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Meadowlark those are fine crappie, I was wondering how you clean them to eat? They are the best table fare in freshwater, and I have gone back to scaling and heading them and frying them on the bones whole. The tail and fins are best crunch I know of! I like to cook a lot things with some bone left in as it imparts a lot flavor that is missing when you leave it out.
Of course when you are catching them like you have been scaling would take a lot of time.
I find that when I fry them whole I can eat only about 3 at the most, 2 if they are good size.
BTW, they look like black crappie, but it's hard to tell from a pic.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well I just took another look at your post and ,...duh, you do fillet them. LOL! Try a couple whole next trip and see how you like them.

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tip, SS. I'll try a couple that way next time....but those fillets are really good.

I believe they are white crappie, but I could be wrong. The black crappie I've seen on Livingston are really black and distinctive from the white crappie...but as I said I could easily be wrong. The lighting wasn't real good for those pictures.

Kickapoo creek is where I found them.

·
12,595 Posts
Well I just took another look at your post and ,...duh, you do fillet them. LOL! Try a couple whole next trip and see how you like them.
Must be cooked whole. My Filipino wants the head on also.

Try this:

Whole fish scaled, gutted and degilled.
verticlly score the fish twice on each side
Place in container and lavish with soy sauce. enough to stain the fish.
sprinckle with garlic salt and pepper. no salt the soy is salty.
let stand in frig a few hours.

Sweet sour sauce:

Large can tomato sauce.
Bell pepper cut in thin strip
three big green onions split and cul 1 inch long.
small can pine apple chuncks drained
mashed and chopped fresh garlic to taste. (2 large sections)

Saute veggies in oil just til they get limp
add tomato sauce and pine apple
Mix pine apple juice and vinigar ( 4 to 1 juice over vinigar.)
add to sauce.
Bring to light boil on med heat.
Stir in one heaping tbl spoon of corn starch mix in 1/3 cup COLD water
Add to sauce.
Stir until mixture returns to boil. Set aside. Should be a little thick as it cools

Cook fish:

Remove fish from container and let excess liquid drain off.
Heat veg oil in large skillet until "frying hot" this would be a wok if you are Asian.
Fry fish on one side. Caution be sure to loosen fish with a spatula so it does not stick.
When nice and brown flip and cook other side.
Do not flip fish back and forth since it will break apart and ruin you plate presentation.
Place fish on plate and cover with sweet sour sauce.
You are now in Chalong Beach, Phuket Thailand

Enjoy.

When my wife and I were married in Singapore she knew at least a dozen ways to cook fish. She had never seen one rolled in meal and deep fried.

·
12,595 Posts
Meadowlark,
If you can believe what you read ( but who can these days) the black crappie is not native to the Trinity basin. Did you notice if all the fish were males. We caught about a hundred last month at Beacn Bay dock. All males to a fish. The white crappie male is darker than the female even in non spawning periods.
But here I am preaching to the fish expert. Enough pratter.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Not to be off subject, but it looks like the fish are making a move to the spawning grounds early.
MDLRK has been catching white bass/crappie up the creek and the crappie have also been caught up in shallow water all around the lake.
I like that, when they move up early it's usually makes for good fishing all through the spawn.

·
12,595 Posts
Not to be off subject, but it looks like the fish are making a move to the spawning grounds early.
MDLRK has been catching white bass/crappie up the creek and the crappie have also been caught up in shallow water all around the lake.
I like that, when they move up early it's usually makes for good fishing all through the spawn.
That Biblical flood must have dropped the lake water temp at least 12 to 15 degrees in just a few days. Especially the run off from the 6 inch deluge around the lake.
I'm sure that gave the old harmones a kick in butt. Colder water= more oxygen= higher energy = fish on the move.
If you think about it the fishing must have been good off the Ark. Noah did not have any other fresh meat to spare. LOL <G>

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now I've got a reason to go get some more...to try out Sunbeam's recipe on the fresh ones. My freezer is full of fillets.

I've caught only two black crappie on Livingston and that was several years ago. Those were the only two I've ever seen on the lake. Very distinctive black color.

There's some nice big females mixed in with these creek fish right now...at least I consider 13 inch crappie to be nice fish. After a spring/summer of white bass, I have to say these crappie really are a pleasant change. They truely are the flounder of freshwater...but I still think flounder are the best.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
somebody bring me crappie fishin on livingston.....i have tried but can't catch any crappie. I ll bring the boat...and supplies. I went up kickapoo but only caught a black bass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts