2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could not decide if I wanted to fish Galv East Bay for trout or run out to state waters out of Freeport for some snaps. Should have done the trout thing. Cleared the FP jetties about 7 to nice conditions. Made 12 different stops where I had to fight off Hardheads and Triggers. Finally hooked up on 2 Snaps, just to close to keep, both released. Called it a day and headed back in by 2. There is a huge dredge that is working at the jetties. Once again the ICW and Jetty intersection is full of logs, to the extent I could not avoid them, I was running slow and still managed to roll one up between the transom and lower unit. It caused a wake that came over the transom. I was running solo so it was a trick getting it loose. I was lucky and did not have any damage. Also CG had a pon pon for a 24 ft taking on water at Severs Cut? Only saw one other boat out at the EB. Still a good day on the water.

Attachments

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
WOW, looks good. I bet that water over the transom was a bit scary.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
When you go to the East Bank check out the Mid. Bank and rocks in bettween if you
have the time. Last time I checked the East Bank we also caught only undersized
Snaps, but did pretty good on The Mid. and other rocks. Lots of Redfish on Mid. Bank
just a few days back. Not that much further to run. Good luck! Rik

·
Vendor
6,013 Posts
middle bank

3Whalers,
How was the current out there?

Reef-man went on a deployment run on Thursday and deployed 5 more reefs in the Reef-Man deployment zone - the current was RIPPIN.

We used a new deployment technique where we attached a 30" dia. anchor buoy to the top of the reef using 600 lb mono. When the reef launched off the pad, the reef would almost submerge the buoy before the mono would snap ensuring the reef was perfectly vertical before dropping to the bottom. Worked perfect.

We checked some of the other reefs that we deployed a couple of months back, and ALL of them had fairly large marks of fish on the sounder.

The Friday before, as we had just splashed the boat after getting it out of drydock for repairs, we took Texas A&M out on the first of we hope to be many more research trips. Our sidescan sonar towfish just got repaired and we will be mapping the reefing area in the next few weeks to show our progress.

All the best,
Tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom,
There was some current, but not ripping like the week before. Wind was light and variable, but combined with the current it was trick trying to keep the boat in position. Sounds like you have developed a good way for positioning prior to deployment.
Allan

·
Registered
359 Posts
Could not decide if I wanted to fish Galv East Bay for trout or run out to state waters out of Freeport for some snaps. Should have done the trout thing.

Rsnap is correct. Was at Middle Bank a few hours Friday and picked up some nice snaps and all the bull reds we could stand. This time of year that bank is always full of bull reds. Everyone out there was getting them. There are actually a couple of kings left around there also. We got one on a flat line and saw another Whaler pick up one. there was almost no current there Friday. Have never seen that place that still. Usually runnin pretty hard. If you just have a little time and want a short inexpensive trip try it.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I fished with another 2-cooler (Danny) on the Middle Bank Friday too. We had to work hard for a double limit of Snaps, but loved almost every minute of it. (Except the Hard Heads and Triggers) Witnessed one nice King Fish being landed for a Whaler. (I think the boat had Triple Whaler on it) We had about 3 Bull Reds for the days and left them to fight another day. The current was great and the wind direction really helped us drift across the bank. (On some drifts we covered almost about a mile and ran across some marks worthy of saving) Beautiful day.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Right you are Bernard! I belive you do much better on a slow drift that throwing the anchor. On days when the current is just right and water clear enough you can do well. Lots of guys that hit the close banks wrong (on timing & conditions) would swear State Water fish are a myth. To help your chances use lighter tackel than
in fed. waters. You will find lots of the catching happens sliding off the slope of the Banks. Small live baits can help. We caught a nice keeper on a large shrimp. Rik

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help all! Hit the Middle today. Excellent day to be on the water. Another solo run, so it was kidna hard to set up my drifts and fish too. Finally talley 2 nice snaps, 1 red released, and plenty of hardheads. Winds light and variable, current was not bad. Rik the light tackle was the ticket. Had to work hard for a few fish, but it was still a great day.

Attachments

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Looks nice, rub it in again, lol. Good you got out, wish I did.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Practice will sharpen your game!

Glad you did better your second shot! On the perfect days do your best to slow down the drift with the motor and watch your Sounder while your crew (when you
have them) does the fishing. Fishing is science and an art. Learn the science and
practice the art! Rik

·
Member - Uncle John's Band
1,582 Posts
I was also there (mid banks) that friday, arrived about 10 and had a 5 man limit o'snapper minus 2 in about 2 hours, was a great day, calm, barely current, and only one other boat that I noticed , must be the 3 whaler dudes. we drifted and bumped the whole time, one snap went into the teen mark with 2 others 6-8#

1 - 14 of 14 Posts