2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fizzle out nothing......

Ole pudge here has 160 mph sustained winds, and the pressure is steadily dropping. Whomever is in this guys path, better hold on.....

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Jamaica is S O L big time then cuba will suck a little out of it and florida can just hope that it does not rebuild after that. I dont think that will be the case though. The high pressure system over the us is not very strong any more and it is sitting just perfect to guide it straight to FL.

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Several of my friends over there don't even have power back on yet, and are right in the path of yet another mess. If this path holds up Aunt Joyce is really going to feel the brunt of this one.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
I hope they are informed

I fear that there are people without power and do not know of the next storm. I'm pretty sure that's not the case but you never know.

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
most of the cell phone towers are back up and running, but my buds in Palm Beach County still don't have power. At least one had a generator coming in and should have some marginal power today. I was supposed to be on a plane landing in Orlando right now, for a long weekend of fishing in Ft. Pierce. Oh well.

·
Registered
541 Posts
160 mph sustained and gusts to 195?...Gee whiz!

This thing is poised to make Andrew look like a cake walk.

My prayers go out to the Floridians and my Texas buds over there right now.

Batten down the hatches if there are any hatches left.

Rex

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
My nephew in Naples has been threatening to come visit. I'm thinking now might be the time. Momma's trying to convince him now. His resturant is closed now anyway so hopefully he'll cut and run without to much prodding. Have a friend in FLL in the hospital, not sure if they'll move him.

My folks neighbor just left NY yesterday, enroute to Key West to close on a house they are buying. I'm thinking I'd have to hold off on that for a week or so!

We're thinking about you AJ and everyone else in the path of this.

My family has several old friends in Jamaica as we used to spend summers there years ago. We've pretty much lost touch over the years but always think of them when these storms rage into the islands.
Them folks have no where to run to.

Later,

Jeff

·
(Not even captain of my own destiny)
535 Posts
Friend in Okeechobee, bailing out..

Just talked to my buddy on the North side of Okeechobee.
They still don't have power or water, but their phones are up.
They were packing up the car now.
Frances gave a good scare as a CAT2, pulled up all their trees, flooded their canal, lifted his boat and pulled up all his dock pilings with it, tore his aluminum roof up a bit, "disappeared" his satellite dish etc.
Their power went down on Friday before Frances, and they still were down today.
He told me on Tuesday, anything bigger than a CAT2 and he was outta there.
They'll be gone before dark tonight.
Thing is, all the traffic coming out of the keys/Miami, shortage of gas, ice etc.
Gonna make it real rough to even get outta there.
He was going to head up to Northern Florida to his Mom's.
Don't know if that's far enough?

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Mont,

Does Aunt Joyce ever evacuate? Or does she ride these things out? I wish she'd post up a list of hurricanes she has ridden out in her lifetime. I'd be willing to bet it would be long and bring back a lot of memories of storms of the past. I bet she's seen a lot in her lifetime. Enjoy her forum much!

Bigwater

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
AJ has two fine sons that I am sure will be taking real good care of their Mom. It's very difficult for her to be in a car, so going to a good shelter if it comes her way might be the only option. The exact turn this thing makes will make all the difference to Miami. If you look at a map, Miami is really an east coast city, not on the very end like most folks think. The latest models show 115 MPH at landfall and if that happens up the coast a bit on the west side, she can likely ride it all out. I am betting the by mid day Saturday, everyone will have a much better idea of the exact point of landfall, and let's hope it's not close to AJ.

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
sister is in lakeland and they never took down the plywood from the last storm and are restocking the pantry right now. hope everyone makes out ok..
joker

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
First for Mont then for Jokerswild

Greetings Mont and I'm sure you heard the excitement in my voice when I knew it was you on the other end of the telephone call. One thing, not for sympathy (who needs THAT!) but for the record. If it was certain that we were going to get the full brunt of a hurricane like Ivan and we had to evacuate, the boys would have to place me in a hospital. I know you don't need explanations. But I DON'T worry because, as you stated so well, my 2 fine sons will make sure I'm okeydokey.
And Jokerswild, my oldest son and his wife, my five grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren live in Lakeland. The last we spoke to them they were doing just fine. I think my son said they left the shutters up when they heard about Ivan. When I'm praying for Leslie's family you bet I'll include your sister!

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Joyce, the 5PM forecast moved it west again. That's good news for you, but not for the panhandle. A little more to the west and all you will get is some more rain. Florida may have to take up rice farming before this is all done. ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well I like to say that florida has welcomed me very well. I moved here about 4 weeks ago and experience charlie, frances, and maybe ivan soon to be. been out of power for 3-4 days and my new truck got broken into (800 in damage). as for being the sunshine state.........someone lied because it rains like every other day. of course the hurricanes to dont help that either.

on another note, fishing is a whole new ball game. it is awsome over here. the bad thing is that i have to drive 2-3 hrs to find reds/trout. but on a good note 30+ inch snooks have been a blast. sight fishing is a new thing to me, very interesting to see the fish way far out in front of you.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Welcome to Florida SpookJr!

I imagine that 4 weeks ago the Florida Welcome Committee didn't make it to your front door. But, let me (by the ether net) personally welcome you and shake your hand.
I'm sorry that you moved to our state during a hurricane season that has been particularly active. But, let me assure you, when you wake up to a Florida Spring morning you'll be counting your blessings! Just wait until you wake up to the beautiful songs of the birds filling the trees nearby. And occasionally you'll hear the shrieking of wild parrots and myna birds.
Just be wary of our crocodiles. They have a bad habit of getting into our rivers, canals and lakes. People mistakenly feed them and soon find them "parked" outside their door waiting for more.
As for fishing, again I don't know where you are, but when this nasty weather is gone you MUST drive to the Keys where the fishing is incredible!
And don't forget Jewfish Creek! They have landed some whoppers there. You'd get a lot of action if you follow the Tamiami trail from Miami going west at an in-the-Everglades island named Chokoluskee!
I like fishing from Key Largo over Molasses Reef. The ocean is so pristine there you'll actually see the fish before you hook them. At Isleamorada in the Keys we used to rent a boat and go out the channel to the ocean. It was great fishing there, too.
And be sure to check Florida's most recent law on Redfish before you go after them.
So, SpookJr this has been your official welcome to Florida for now. And about hurricanes...just remember they come and go. This has been a very unusual season.
But I can tell you I already know that you're a pretty sharp guy! You're getting your message across on the TTMB. You're surrounded by Texans who know these waters, Gulf and Atlantic. They "good guys"! When you need help they'll bend over backwards to stear you in the right direction. You couldn't have registered your handle in a better place!

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
Hey AJ & SpookJr,
Chokoluskee is awesome. But be sure you have a GPS. The tides make islands dissapear and then you're all fouled up. AJ, I live in Austin and have been to Choke the last 4 years. My brother lived in FT Lauderdale for 12 years and moved to Chicago last year. (what a change) Dad and I met him there the last 4 years for our annual fishing trip and we'd go offshore a day and fish Choke a few days. Just got back 3 weeks ago (in between Charlie and Frances. Good timing) Went over to Choke one day and caught 8 species!!! Jacks, lady fish, sharks, a jew fish, permit, cobia, red fish and trout. Amazing area. AS well as Marco Island. I love Ft lauderdale. Hope you guys stay safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts