2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Not about sharks - Need opinions about a gun

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  elkhunter49 
#1 ·
Since I trust most of you guys I thought I'd ask you all a question.

I'm looking to buy my first high powered deer rifle. I was thinking wood stock, bolt action, 25/06.

I figured I'd order it from Wal-Mart to get the best price.

Is there any particular brand I should avoid? Or any one I should consider over another?

I look through there catalog and get overwhelmed. Then end up leaving without ordering one. LOL How can there be so many choices?

And of course Wal-Mart and Academy do not carry them in stock for me to look at. And the gun stores around me do not carry them either.

#6 ·
I hunted with 25-06 exclusively for about 15 years. Awesome caliber!!! 270, 280, and 30-06 are probably better all around calibers. But, if your just hunting Texas stuff, 25-06 will carry the load sufficiently.

Also, have only owned one, but, I've been told on numerous occasions, Remington is the most accurate mass produced gun, straight out of the box. Mine is danged accurate. If the thread gets moved to the Hunting forum, Gun Doc and others can probably give you some good info.

#7 ·
TXPalerider, I hang out here more than I do on the hunting board LOL.
25/06 is one of my all time favorite calibers for deer size game. If you want a wood stock gun, I would get the Remington 700 ADL or BDL depending on how fancy you want to get. The Ruger 77 Mrkll is probably the next step down. Another good choice is the Weatherby Vanguard, but I don't think it comes with a wood stock. Savage makes a good rifle also, but I ain't real fond of their trigger system. If Winchester still made the model 70 in 25/06, that would be my first choice.
Unless you are wanting a wood stock for the looks, plastic stocks are a better choice than a wood stock. Wood warps and changes shape slightly with every change in the weather. This can cause you accuracy problems in some pieces of wood. Plastic will be the same day in day out. Wood feels better in your hands and there is no comparison in beauty between a nice looking wood stock and a chunk of plastic. Some of the plastic stock model rifles have gotten cheaper than the nicer wood stock models.
The best bullet for deer in a 25 caliber rifle that I have found, is the Sierra 117 BT. You can either hand load it or buy it factory loaded in Federal Premium ammo.

#8 ·
Good call, GunDoctor. I have a 30.06 which is a Remington 700 (beautiful gun IMHO), and a .270 M77. Both good, reliable guns.
Like GD said, synthetic stocks take a lot less maintenance. I've replaced all my shotgun stocks to synthetics because of the extensive use. My rifles, however, are still wood because the area (South Texas) that I hunt deer, hog, and varmints is arid and isn't as hard on the wood stocks.
All in all, the 25.06 in my opinion is the best all-around rifle for this area. You can take down just about any deer or hog with a well placed shot, and still hunt 'yotes without tearing 'em to shreds. Good luck!

#10 ·
I have to agree with most here, The .25-.06 is an awesome caliber. I personally favor a .243 as I practice often and accept no less than sub-minute groups. The .270 is a great all around caliber. Ammo is readily available everywhere as well.

I have friend that has a Ruger M77 bolt action that he is going to sell very soon for $350.00 . It has a Pentax scope on it an ready to hunt. I would have picked it up myself, but I have too many toys already if that's possible. LOL. I can get it for you if you like. Just let me know. Take care.

bowhunter1@ev1.net

#12 ·
Hello Bigcat. I've shot a Ruger model 77, 25-06 for 23 years and have
never had a problem with the gun or the leupold scope on it.
You will have no problem with that caliber for our Texas deer.
One thing to keep in mind about your purchase is realize that
the gun you buy from Walmart or K-mart is not the same as the one
you would get from Marbergers, Carter Country or Bass Pro Shop.
The same caliber,brand and model will not be machined as tight if it
comes from a discount store. This may sound like an add but it's the truth.
By the way I'm not in the gun or sporting goods business. I work for
an oil company so I don't care where you buy your next gun. This is
just information I wish I'd had about 8 years ago.
Good Luck on your purchase
Baker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.