2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Formerly ynggun
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay we have a laptop that is infected with malware trojans. We had to reload windows to even get back this far. Now it's doing again what it was doing before it crashed. What software would you recomend to get rid of these? Norton? Or something else?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm no computer guru so when I had malware problems I got ahold of Jay Lee who writes a computer help column for the Chronicle. He recommended I download Malwarebytes for free www.malwarebytes.org. It cleared up my problem on the first scan. Hope this helps. You can also e-mail Jay at [email protected].

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
did you do a clean install...or a repair?

I would not put Nortons on anything.

Malwarebytes is good but not designed to get/find/remove virus or trojans. It will get some but that is not it's design. You need a good anti-virus program. AVG, Avast..the one I am currently using btw or F-Secure ect. You want something that gets the job done without putting a drag on your system..ie Nortons.

Depending on your operating system, turn off system restore, boot into safe mode and run your anti-virus scan. If you want it to go faster, delete your temp internet junk files..don't know where they hide, download Ccleaner and use it to clean it up for you.

If your infected so bad you might have to try and do a online scan...bitdefender online works good.

Next get a software firewall like zone alarm.

Everything I listed is/has a free version. It's just going to take some time now to get it fixed.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
Bill has it right. If possible, You can take out the hard drive and connect it as a secondary hard drive and scan it in safe mode with a updated Well known AV program as mentioned.

Many times I have seen viruses on PC's that Norton or Mcafee failed to detect or clean and AVG picked them up with
ease.

The file may be in the HKLM run section of the registry. You can look for non windows files there, but be carefull and know what you are removing. The CCleaner has a tool option for this in tools>startup

If the system is still infected, Back up your scanned virus free data and format / reload windows

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Norton offers a remote virus removal service, it around $100. They will log into your computer, and remove any malware they find.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/premium_services/premium_virus.jsp

If you don't have the time to mess with it yourself, I would give them a try.
that stinks! you buy the software, you pay to keep it updated every year and when you get a problem you have to pay again

Nortons is a resource hog anyways

AVG, Avast, Bitdefender, Panda or RAV all blow Nortons away in security

·
SECEDE
702 Posts
I know, its like paying the mafia for protection. Truth be told, these security companies are problebly the ones putting out the malware. Seems like they have the most to gain from it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts