2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Do you know 100% that your dog is free of heart worms at this time? If not, see Vet before doing any treatment!

As far as how much I would have to think it may depend on weight and age of your dog...

Go on Google and Yahoo and type in the drug in search and read what it says on the many websites I feel sure will pop up...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am 100% sure she is free of heart worms. She is a 11 month old Lab that weighs 48lbs and has been on Ivomec for 5 months. We just added her into the family last week and has been doing great. Her previous owners gave me her vet paperwork showing her neg for heart worm in August.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ivomec

Something to think about. Sounds like you may be ok as you are using it on a lab but a vet will not give Ivermectin for a collie or collie mix ( like an Australian Shepherd ). Our vet would not give and cautioned against, Ivermectin based heartworm medication for these animals. Telling me they may have a reaction to it sometimes leading to death. Can't remember the medication we got off the top of my head. It was some kind of 'mectin but not Ivo.

·
Jacka$$ Moment
852 Posts
I've used it on both of my labs for several years now and my dogs have always been heart, hook, tape and any other worm free. They do live in concrete floor kennels that we wash out everyday and I get them checked at least once a year to make sure. I use .5CC per 50 lbs and works out great. I get mine at a feed store. I have talked to several vets about it and the only one that said it would be fine the way I'm doing it is the one that is retired now. Not saying that the other vets wanted me to keep bringing my money to them, just sharing my story. Good luck

Dook

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've always heard .1 (point 1, which is a 1/10th) cc for every 10 lbs. Ivermectin is the ingredient in heartworm medicine.
Correct. I used to give this to my dogs. 0.1mL per 10-11lbs. I gave my dogs 0.1mL less than 0.1mL/10lbs just to be safe.

There is also a 0.27% concentration solution for swine. I believe that may give you an easier dosage, but the one mentioned above works and is safe.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I used it for years when I had as many as 13 adult dogs. As has been said we used 0.1cc per 10 lbs. of dog. A 60 lb. dog got 0.6 cc once a month. These dogs got it until they died, some as long as 16 years. This is very common in larger kennels. I have see it used on hunting dogs, show dogs, retrievers, pointers, even sight hounds that are notorious for being susceptible to reactions around different drugs.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Just because you have given that dosage without your dogs getting heartworms doesn't mean that it is the correct dosage. Over dosing will probably prevent heartworms too. I have had as many as 11 dogs at one time and have used .1cc per 50 pounds without any dogs contracting heartworms. Get someone to do the math and you will see that this is the dosage on the liquid ivermectin.

·
Stop Global Whining
494 Posts
I have been using it for years, I use it on my full blood golden retreivers right now. I buy it at a feed store and they gave me a syringe that is marked in pounds for your dog. it has 10lbs up to 100lbs marked on the side, I belive it is equel to 1cc per 10lbs.

·
quando omni flunkus, mortati
1,506 Posts
are yall injecting it or giving it orally? and is it daily or monthly? I used it to treat red mange and it had to be given daily at the same rate yall are saying for 6 weeks and it worked great.

·
Registered
340 Posts
are yall injecting it or giving it orally? and is it daily or monthly? I used it to treat red mange and it had to be given daily at the same rate yall are saying for 6 weeks and it worked great.
Orally... I usually suck water in the syringe with the ivomec and squirt it down their throat. The .1cc per 10lbs dosage is used monthly for as a heartworm preventative.

On a side note, I have treated one and i'm treating one now that has heartworms... dogs that I bought that tested positive. This is prescribed by my vet and each case is different. I'm using a 4 to 1 mix of propylene glycol and ivermectin... 1 1/2 cc's weekly for six months. My vet is a farm vet with 25 plus years experience... this is the only way she treats heartworm positive dogs... even if it is "old school".

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
You must be administering the dosage after diluting as per some instructions. The .1 I use is straight from the bottle. A vet told me that .1 per 10 lbs is more than the dose used to cure heartworm infections. Do the math.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You must be administering the dosage after diluting as per some instructions. The .1 I use is straight from the bottle. A vet told me that .1 per 10 lbs is more than the dose used to cure heartworm infections. Do the math.
No sir, 1/10th cc per 10 lbs straight out of the vile... 1% solution for cattle/swine. I just mix that with water because it's harsh on the dog's throat. The treatment dosage comes out to 3/10th's administered weekly for 6 months which is triple the monthly preventative dosage for this particular dog.

·
Member - Uncle John's Band
1,579 Posts
i bought it at tractor supply complete with syringes for drawing from the sealed bottle, just remove the needle and swuirt into dogs mouth.
The only thing I have to add is that the medicine comes as Ivomec.. DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS
MY VET (DR jOHNSTON IN RICHWOOD TOLD ME ITS O K TO USE, HE JUST WOULD NOT GIVE ME THE DOSAGE AMOUNTS AS HE COULD NOT BE RESPOSABLE FOR THAT INFORMATION.
I was instructed by people I got the dog from and a few others to give 1/2 ML for her and she weighs 30# once per month for worm treatment.
So what is 1/10th of a CC per 10# vs. ML's? my syringe is measured in ML's

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
The dosages sound about right.. I cant Openly say yes or no..
if your comfortable with self medicate'n ur dogs go for it..
Notice (None) of the (Other) Vets/clinics have said squat..
Were Obligated to stay out of it,once you start a treatment..Legalitys

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
The dosages sound about right.. I cant Openly say yes or no..
if your comfortable with self medicate'n ur dogs go for it..
Notice (None) of the (Other) Vets/clinics have said squat..
Were Obligated to stay out of it,once you start a treatment..Legalitys
But then your not the Vet are you?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts