2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know if noodling is legal in Texas?

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Nope, noodling isnt legal in Texas, according to a PBS show on noodling. Why, are you crazy enough to give it a try?

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts

Is there anything in the fishing regulation about noodling I read through it real quick and didn't see anything?

:D

·
Registered
798 Posts
Here's the key

Game fish may be taken only by pole and line, except as otherwise provided in this guide.

Noodling is not listed, so it ain't legal. TBill
asolde said:
Is there anything in the fishing regulation about noodling I read through it real quick and didn't see anything?

:D

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Channelcat said:
Game fish may be taken only by pole and line, except as otherwise provided in this guide.

Noodling is not listed, so it ain't legal. TBill
does that mean it aint legal for private waters such as tanks and creeks that one owns???

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
If you own the tank, you can probably get away with just about whatever your heart desires. But, if the stream is a navigable waterway, regardless of where it is, I'd not do it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am pretty sure it is illegal.

But on a funnier note, I worked my way through college as a Cardiovascular Tech doing EKG's on the night shift. I went to this one guys room and we strike up a conversation about fishing. He proceeds to tell me about all the giant catfish he has noodled over the past 40 years. It is a pretty interest conversation as I attach all the electrodes to his chest, then I go to put the electrodes on his wrist. Imagine my surprise when this guy only has two fingers on one hand and 1 finger on the other hands!! I almost fell over laughing. He kept bragging how the game warden never caught him! Maybe not, but it sure looked like a couple of alligator snapping turtles had caught him a time or 7!!!!!!!!!

Andy

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Mudskipper,
Dat's a goodun:) ...I can relate to old guy's tellin'tales @ the hospital...I work nights as a Respiratory Therapist.Looks like after ya git the first couple bit off,you'd catch on,don't it?:eek:

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
I don't think catfish is considered a game fish, however I do agree that noodling is not listed in the fishing regulation. I think this question is better left to a game warden. Any game wardens around?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Catfish are game fish

look on page 36 of the 2003/2004 hunting and fishing regulations. As far as the noodling in a private tank, I would guess it's legal. The stream, I agree.....ask a game warden.

asolde said:
I don't think catfish is considered a game fish, however I do agree that noodling is not listed in the fishing regulation. I think this question is better left to a game warden. Any game wardens around?

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Yellarcat said:
what the **** is a tank......yall mean a pond?......or you got like a big aquarium with cats in it...lol
You say "y'all" but, not "tank"??

Where you from anyway???:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yellarcat!

I understand totally, moving to Texas I had to learn a whole different version of "*******". I am from Missouri and a pond is a pond - in Texas a pond is a tank? In MO a tank is a big metal tub you fill up with water from a well. In Mo a creek is a crick, in Texas it is a bayou? In Houston a bayou is a large ditch that overflows everytime it rains!

Nighttrain, we used to work real close with the RT's. We drew the blood gases and calibrated all the monitores and lines. Pretty cool job for a college kid, but not enough $$$ to stay after college.

Take care all,
Andy

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
My grandfather used to go "Underbanking." Some of the guys you see on TV are feeling in traps. My older family members used to actually grab, feel, under the banks of creeks south of Halletsville, TX. I watched my grandfather to it when I was young enough to barely remember, but never seen him catch one. They would also reach their legs under the banks and feel for the cats. The stories go on and on. Old timers did what they had to do to eat. or for entertainment. They didn't have the internet u know...Just wish I was older then, to be able to walk down the creeks underbanking or checkin lines with him...some aren't as lucky as others. I grew up thinking my family was the only crazy one's out there until I met ole "Catfish" Kramer in college and seen the TV shows about noodling.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Yellarcat said:
what the **** is a tank......yall mean a pond?......or you got like a big aquarium with cats in it...lol
just where did you come from? up north, eh? oh and whats a pond? they dont have them in Texas is what I have heard (no pun intended)......BIG J

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I aint got nuthin against Texas......but to me tank sounds allot more yankeeish than pond does.........I was born and raised in Alabama, and lived in Missip, for 2 years......I have met ******** from all over and even a few from Texas guess we all talk alittle different.......as for noodling, I always heard it called grabbling....I done it a time or two, but never actually grabbed one........I dont see anything wrong with this method of catfishing, and I know its gotta be a rush, exp. since you might die doin it......I just dont like seeing all of those big spawning cats taken from their beds.........I think this is one reason why catfish are so hard to over fish or wipe out so to say, due to the fact that catfish can be extremely hard to catch while spawning and most of the time impossible to even get a bait too, and with noodling these fish can be more easily caught, but I dont think it will ever become a problem in most area's......due to laws, not many grabbers left, etc.

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
I've seen videos of noodlin' and it was entertaining as all-get-out,but, to actually take part?...I don't think so.Maybe 10 years ago.I'm a big ol' boy and ain't skeered of much ,but,when my hands look like hamburger after a night out on the lake,now,I can imagine how they would be after wrestlin' with those buggers IN the water!!Wooooo....

·
Registered
564 Posts
Texas is traditionally a cattle-oriented state. When someone digs a pond usually it is to provide water for the cattle, so it is called a stock tank, or just tank for short. What we refer to as "ponds" are naturally occuring, not created. Hope that clarifies things for our out-of state friends.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have heard the term "stock tank" used and always had the mental image of one of those metal tubs, we use for watering horses, beside a windmill with a pipe running into it supplying fresh water... It sounded odd to have catfish in a "tank" but I figured, what the heck.... it's their "tank" and if they want to put catfish in it, then it's their business... figured it would get a little crowded in there...what with the size a bluecat can grow to and all... I also wondered what it was they were feeding those catfish.... had to be a pain in the neck to travel out to the "tank" every few days with some trout-chow to feed fish...

Now I understand exactly what you guys are talking about... so, how big is a "tank" and how does it get filled with water? Rain? Water pumped into it from a well?
Thanks for the clarification Fishomaniac.... I know I'm a dumb Yankee... around here, we water cattle in ponds, most of them "natural" or beaver-dam created... some of them are man-made by damming up a creek... and some of them are dug.... most run an acre or two.....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts